DIY Electrical work - regulations???

Hi
I am moving house in a few weeks. The new house does not have an exterior rear security light fitted. Given the new "part p" (or whatever they are called) electrical regulations, am I permitted to do this myself?
TIA

Since it's outside I suspect that strictly part P does apply. This doesn't prevent you doing it yourself but you must notify the building regulations people at your local council and they must certify that it's OK.
Alternatively you can get an electrician who can 'self certify' to do the work and you should get proper paperwork from them.
What you *can't* do is do it yourself and then get an electrician to certify it, it has to be the council building regulations people who do this.
... in reality it's such a small piece of work that no one is going to either notice or care or know that it doesn't have 'proper' paperwork.
--
Chris Green

I agree, and would like to add you would bypass Part P if the security light was plugged in to a normal socket.
Adam

Who's to say the circuit wasn't already there before 2005?
One of the phrases that helps you through life: 'It was like that when I got here!'
Mel W.
Astral Voyager wrote:

Especially if you have a stock of the red/black T&E. Which I haven't unfortunately.
--
Malc
You will pay for your sins. If you have already paid, please disregard
malc wrote:

I've no doubt that there are stocks of the old stuff around if you enquire, it didn't just disappear when the new colours came out.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

It's been such a long while since I did any electrical work in the home I wasn't aware the T&E colours had changed. I shall have to read up on that. You could still claim the circuit was there before 2005 even with new coloured cable. By my reading you are allowed to repair a single circuit without having to make notification. So just claim the original cable got damaged and had to be replaced - if anybody should ever bother to ask.
Mel W.
Astral Voyager wrote:

Cunning. I like that.
--
Malc.

diy-newby wrote:

AFAIK you can install an outside light;
"Installing security lighting to the outside wall of a house provided there are no exposed outdoor connections (as long as no new circuit is needed)"
This came directly from a B&Q 'how to' leaflet on Part P. So you could take a spur from existing wiring.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Which is lifted from Approved Document P, so appears to be correct.
--
Hugo Nebula