Dishwasher failure

Any dishwasher buffs out there? Ours has stopped working. I'll describe the symptoms if anyone thinks they can help.
Rob Graham

the
Go on then.

Its a Hotpoint. When you switch on it seems to run and then it just stops and there is no water in it. IIRC at some point soon in the cycle it would be pumping water out. I think it should let water in thro' the softener and then pump it out, but this doesn't happen.
Rob

Some possibilities... Water supply turned off or failed. Burned out water solenoid valve (check if it gets any power). Worn out programmer, failing to switch solenoid valve anymore. Broken cable -- very common if programmer is in the door and the cables flex in the door hinge.
Programmer won't advance until the water level switch tells it the water level is up to the required fill level.
--
Andrew Gabriel

That was it, Andrew. Broken cables. Now sorted, and thank you for your great help.
Rob