Direction of Floor Joists

Two years ago, I had a front and rear house extension. The original first floor flooring was tongue and groove wood, but the builder chose to meet up to this on the extended floor section with large boards.
I have lifted one of these boards recently and the joists that the builder put in place run across the house, while the original joists run along the house (i.e the new ones are not in the same direction as the old).
Is this right? It would seem better for evenness for the joists to run in the same direction?
Thanks Simon

Is the room square? If not, he's probably put the joists across the narrowest dimension (shortest joist). Did the plans not specify?
And when you say 'large boards' do you mean tongued-and-grooved flooring chipboard?
Rob Graham