Dimming Low Energy Lamps

Hi All,
Will low energy bulbs work with dimmer switches?

The 'standard' ones no, see http://www.e-lindsey.gov.uk/environment/energy-efficiency/low-energy-light-bulbs.cfm
Don.
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 23:11:38 -0000, "cerberus"

don't. As you dim them they will flash on and off then extinguish completely the same the other way.
I was told that I needed a different kind of dimmer and changed it but that did not work either. I returned the bulbs to the supplier and explained my problem but they did not offer an answer either, they just refunded my money.
When incandescent bulbs are no longer available I think dimmers will be a thing of the past.

In most cases - No. A low energy bulb works on the same principle as a fluorescent tube. See: http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp.htm
Using a standard dimmer reduces the flow of electrons between the electrodes to too low a level to maintain light emission of the gas in the tube.
You can *sometimes* get one to work, dependant on the way the dimmer works, by turning the dimmer on full (to strike the bulb) and then dim it down. At around 50% brightness though the preceding paragraph comes into effect once more and the light extinguishes.
You don't say what bulbs you had but I have had success with Osram Dulux EL Dim bulbs.

The bog standard low energy lamps will not work with dimmers.
There are dimmable low energy lamps available though. http://www.varilight.co.uk/index.htm
Adam
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:27:52 GMT, "ARWadworth"

anyone really got one that dims properly?