Dichro lamps

Hi, I'm renovating the kitchen, and want to use the small dichro lamps. Opinion seems to be split: 220 volt, or 12 volt? Some say the transformers are unreliable, and go for 220v type. Seems fair to me. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? Thankful for any input!
Regards,
Derek

Opinion
I think the 12v ones are only 20 watts each and the 240 ones are 50 watts each so there's a considerable difference in light output. TonyB

Oh dear. They really are totally unsuited for general purpose lighting, and although the lamps themselves are not very low efficiency, using them for general purpose lighting works out as about the worse efficiency lighting you could possibly design.

12V are more efficient (even allowing for transformer losses). 12V lamps are available in a wider range of power ratings and beam angles, and some smaller physical sizes. They last longer than mains lamps, and they are cheaper to replace.
240V are lower initial installation cost as no transformer required.
--
Andrew Gabriel

That's true. I've got 6x20w in my bathroom which replaces a single 60w bulb.
Got about 9 in the kitchen at 50w each which replace 6x60w bulbs, but because they are located over the work surfaces the quality of lighting is excellent, very little shadowing at any angle. TonyB