Decoration Problem

Hello, I have just stripped the paper (2 layers) off my hall walls. Some of the walls are concrete and some are wood (plywood) I couldn't remove the first paper layer from the wood walls.

The walls look a bit rough now, so I was wondering what my options are. I don't think plastering is an option as I would be skimming onto vinyl paper. Is lining paper and then paper the only option?

Many thanks

Reply to
Oddjob

Depends whether there is a risk of water damage to the plywood walls if you make further attempts to soak/steam off and scrape the vinyl paper. If you want a good finish you probably need to remove the old vinyl paper. Sometimes you can peel up a corner at the lower end of the seam. The length can then be slowly pulled away from the wall, leaving the backing paper attached to the wall. Depending on the condition of the backing paper it can either be left on the wall and used as lining paper for the new wall covering, or it can be stripped fairly easily with water and a scraper, provided this will not damage the plywood. If the plywood wall is uneven you can skim it with plaster before re-decorating.

But if the vinyl will not peel off you can perforate the surface by scraping it with a tool like this: . Then soak the paper to dissolve the old paste, then scrape off, or better still use a steam stripper and scraper. But don't try this if there is a risk of damaging the plywood. If marine plywood was used and it was primed with a waterproof primer then it will resist water much better than if it was basic plywood and unpainted.

Phil

----

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I would tend to look at blown vinyl wall paper - covers a rough wall and looks good as well. Can easily be painted over when it gets a bit grubby or you fancy a change in colour. I use it all the time.

Reply to
Chris