Decorating a table

I plan to cover an old table with pictures cut out from glossy mags, a la Victorian screens.. I have tried PVA but the pictures all wrinkle and distort causing an unsightly mess.. Should I be using a spirit based wood varnish instead? Is there a way of preparing wood and paper to stop this happening? Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks. Richard.

Spray mountant.

Like you'd use to mount photo's? Good idea!