Decking Advice

A little advice would be helpful at the moment, if someone could point us in the right direction.

We stained our newly laid decking with a deck stain/protector/waterproofer all in one - only for it to dry back and look horrid. Now before we panic and do something we will later regret can anyone advise if we can possibly rectify the problem or are we stuck with the colour?

We have thought about buying a deck oil in a darker colour to put on top - would there be any problems with an oil going on top of a stain (other than not knowing what colour we'll end up with!). Or if we have to another stain of a darker colour? How about a power washer, would that work?

Help!

Many thanks.

Jean

Reply to
nogoodatanything

If you want it darker than it is already is, then another coating of the same stain you have should do the trick. If you want the colour to go lighter, then a hard sanding with rough paper should take the surface off and create a lighter shade.

I wouldn't put oil on top of an all in one stain treatment because the surface will have already been sealed and the oil will not soak in as it's supposed to. You might end up with a slippy coating and that's not what you want on decking.

There are solvents that will remove most of the stain, but they are expensive and you have to use a lot to take the decking back to anything close to its natural colour.

HTH

Reply to
BigWallop

I'd be interested in what stain you did use as im thinking of staining mine this year and dont want to end up with it looking bad!

Reply to
Becky

Many thanks, I shall pass this onto my husband as I think one of the options above may resolve the problem for us.

Phew!

Regards Jean

Reply to
nogoodatanything

Well it wasn't the Cuprinols or Ronseals or any diy store type anufacturer - we actually purchased it at a sawmills and for once the colour it shows on the tin is to be believed! We purchased a pine colour, which did actually look quite light on the tin and slightly 'orange' so to speak. But it was the lightest and I just did not believe that it could be too bad. It just looks too orange and false - I was hoping for a stain that still made the wood look like wood and not 'painted' as such, and although we have the option of putting a second coat on (we have enough stain) to deepen the colour to see if that would work, we're frightened to do this just in case it makes it harder to stain it darker with another stain.

I take the point of Big Wallop about adding oil on top of the stain, which is a pain because I was always in favour of an oil from the start because I think they look much nicer and original - I would use the oil deffo if we were starting all over (husband talked me round!).

HTH Thanks Jean

Reply to
nogoodatanything

I'd never recommend stain because to my mind it always looks artificial. I always suggest decking oil for the decks I build.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
S S

I know, can't argue with that. Live and learn I suppose. We have now done that with regard to the second coat to see what that will turn out like. My gut feeling is that the second coat will take the colour into a darker one, and we can cope with that.

Regards Jean

Reply to
nogoodatanything