Dead boiler

My Mexico HE36 boiler died on Tuesday night. Company repair man unavailiable till Friday, boiler 6 months out of waranty, local repair firm came on Weds, diagnosed faulty circuit board, replaced at £280 cost!!!

Question. Do you think I have a claim against the manufacturer? It was an expensive boiler that I expected to last more than 6 monhs beyond the waranty.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Mike,

You could try sorting this out under the Sale of Goods Act - see the link below for a 'potted' read:

Cash

Reply to
Cash

It has got to be worth writing a letter. Hopefully you have the old one still?

Boiler manufacturers still have to learn to design reliable electronics to work in a high temperature stress environment.

Heat and the related dirt are killers for electronics

The TV trade went through this and TV set reliability went up in leaps and bounds once the nasty hot valves were disposed of.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for the link, from that I telephoned the "Consumer direct" helpline. Sadly it seems I am stuffed. They tell me my only avenue of redress is with the firm who supplied and installed the boiler, and they are no longer trading. It was a local "one man operation" who had a good reputation for quality work and I have no quibble with the quality of the job he did. He unfortunately fell out with his wife, this led to a messy/expensive divorce and he wound up the business and left the area.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I'd still get in touch with the manufacturer. At worst they will say no and who knows.....

Reply to
Keith W

I agree. My Panasonic plasma recently developed a line of faulty pixels from top to bottom of screen. The set was well out of warranty - but should have lasted a lot longer than 2.5 years. I e-mailed both my retailer and Panasonic. The retailer immediately went into defensive mode - but Panasonic stated that they would cover the cost of replacing the screen - which they did.

Good manufacturers have a reputation to uphold.

Kev

Reply to
Ret.