Cutting MDF etc.

I am intending to make a wall unit using MDF + laminated chipboard ( think thats what you call it ) I have used various tools to cut these materials in the past ... some time ago and wish to know the easiest and best way of cutting them as I have not had much success achieving a good straight edge for joints. I have tried jigsaws + handsaws with fine blades without a good result .Do i need a saw bench with a special blade - or a special blade for my rip saw ?
Thanks for any help
Add pictures here
✖
" snipped-for-privacy@here.net" <Chris> wrote in message

I always cut lamated board and MDF or even plywood with a circular or bench saw using the maximum number of teeth I can get on a blade to make abetter job. I always, through trial and experience, now cut wood from the reverse side (side not showing). This way you get a nice clean cut on the face. I have tried jigsaws and handsaws but jigsaws tend to wonder even though they are kept to the straightedge, maybe I was using a crap one, I don't know. Hope that helps -- troubleinstore
Add pictures here
✖

I cannot understand why people use jigsaws for cutting sheet material when they want a straight line. Jigsaws are for cutting convoluted lines as in jigsaw puzzles and are no good for straight lines As you say, they wander.
Rob Graham
Add pictures here
✖
I dont go to the bother of cutting the big pieces of board now...i just purchase it from the local diy shack where they cut the first 6 pieces for free then 50p a cut after, saves all the bother of clamping straight edges etc, Now i can just get on with constructing etc.
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

You're lucky... Our local DIY shop has stopped this because of the costs of H+S compliance ...:-(
--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]
✖