Cutting down the cost of washing machine powder

Plus, you get the bucket.

Larry Caldwell

Yes, I have a front load washer that recommends HE detergent. I think there are more choices for HE detergent now, but years ago the large bucket of Sears HE detergent was the least expensive way to go.

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Costco exist in the UK, and I buy my washing detergent powder in the giant boxes from there. Takes me 1-2 years to get through one. It's much cheaper than buying the regular size boxes in shops (keep an eye out for Costco special offers as you start running out), but main reason is I don't have to buy and carry it home so often. Adjust dose to match the amount of dirt you expect it to need to remove from the clothes.

Bare in mind US washing soap and European washing detergent are completely different things, because the washing machines have completely different methods of washing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

============================================================================ Thanks to all. Could you elaborate on how us and uk machines wash differently?

Reply to
john hamilton

This may have been true in the past, but the US market is transitioning rapidly to Euro-style front loaders. Top loaders are hardly even advertised anymore.

Until recently, many of the US-brand front loaders were built by Electrolux AB.

Of course, ours are bigger than yours!

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz