cutting a channel in plaster

Hi

i need to cut a channel in a wall around 1' 6" long and 1" wide and around

1"deep to take trunking for some cables i want to bury. what's the best way?

i though of scoring 2 lines and chiselling but this seems a long winded way. is there an alternate tool like a router that i could employ

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

Could use a standard drill and pull the drill down whilst drilling. Thats how an Alarm engineer did it anyway!!!

Reply to
vw-stuff

Use an SDS drill with rotary stop or the more traditional way - hammer & chisel !!

Reply to
bob

or hire (or buy) a plaster chaser, which is a double bladed angle grinder with cover and vacuum cleaner take-off, designed to do the job. Don't be fooled into thinking the vacuum cleaner take-off means it's a clean job -- these things chuck out dust at such a rate that only some of it will end up in the vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

ALDI still have some wall chasers for £50. They work very well - and - you can connect them to a "hoover" to suck up the dust!

Nic.

Reply to
Picker

As i have more than 1 of these jobs pending that tool looks ideal.

(its old plaster 90-100 years)

thanks to all the other reply's

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

I thought aldi only sold food!

website is not very helpful

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

Oh no, they do a lot of tools, esp power tools, also garden/barbeque stuff. I got a cut-off saw recently, and was disappointed prior to that in being too late (mid-afternoon) when thy did an air powered staple/nail gun for £19.99. OK, not world famous brands, but ok for diy use.

New stock day is Thursday and there's always a queue at our one. Sometimes they advertise in the tabloids on Weds so you can see what's coming.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I used an old circular saw blade, wrapped well with a cloth - no mess! Pulling down with even strokes. Works well with breeze block backing

Cojack

Reply to
Colin Jackson

When my mate had extensive work done on his house the builder attached a batton to wall and hung a cloth down. He did two cuts at 45° using a circular saw behind the cloth, leaving a V groove to put cables in. Take cloth down and hopefully all the dust is in the cloth.

I tried this chasing a groove for shower pipes, but was not happy running a power tool behind the cloth so just settled for covering everything in bathroom with dust !!!!

Reply to
Ian_m

We recently had electricians in to rewire the house they also cut channels in the kitchen walls for extra switches, different positions of sockets etc., they used angle grinders and the amount of dust was INCREDIBLE, the backdoor was left open, the dust was billowing out of the door as if it was smoke from a good going fire. Mind you as the door to the rest of the house was closed and sealed they didn't seem too worried about dust creation

Reply to
soup