Could Someone Possibly Direct In Right Direction Please ?

Page 2 of 4
By all reports, it produces a predominantly green picture, see this recent thread: http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tech.digital-tv/browse_thread/thread/d6572e2583866f36/c18c38c446039295
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:31:25 -0000, "Gareth"

You wouldn't choose that option unless you had the appropriate lead and display device to feed the component video in to.
--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
snipped-for-privacy@bgdsv.co.uk

I dunno what the bodge is for component over SCART. Does is use a different voltage etc one of the control circuits to switch the set to components? And can you have HD via this?
--
*A dog gave birth to puppies near the road and was cited for littering*

That is the original spec. However, some also allow S-Video (common) and or components (not so common).
--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:11:09 -0000, Brian Reay wrote:

SCART can carry one, the other, or both...
It certainly should be possible to make up a lead SCART to VGA. The pinouts of both are on the web...
Most modern monitors are multi sync these days and cover the line/frame rate of TV. Find the spec of the monitor in question and check is can do 15.625kHz/50Hz. However the interlaced rather than progressive scan may screw things up and the aspect ratio might be wrong.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

true
False I'm afraid, they used to when VGA cards were commonly interlaced (remember the relay clunk old CRT monitors had?) but most *wont* display TV spec RGB today.

Exactly.

It's quite hard to find a PC LCD monitor that can do 50Hz. They exist, but they're pretty rare.
PC CRT monitors flicker like mad at 50Hz. Faster phosphors I think. Unwatchable IME!
Cheers, David.

It's quite hard to find a PC LCD monitor that can do 50Hz. They exist, but they're pretty rare.
PC CRT monitors flicker like mad at 50Hz. Faster phosphors I think. Unwatchable IME!
Cheers, David.
I found this spec for my monitor:
Product Features and Technical Details Product Features a.. Display Type: TFT LCD b.. Screen size: 19" c.. Resolution: 1280 x 1024 d.. Contrast Ratio: 700:1 e.. Brightness: 250 cd/m^2 f.. Response time: 8 ms g.. Horizontal Viewing Angle: 150 degrees h.. Vertical Viewing Angle: 135 degrees i.. Display colours: 16.2M Technical Details
Product Details: 19" Hanns TFT Monitor Device Type: Flat Screen TFT Monitor roduct Model: Hanns HU196 Contrast Ratio: 700:1 Digital Video: Digital Visual Interface (DVI) Image Brightness: 250 nits Viewing Angle: 150/135 degrees Colour Support: 16.2 million colours Features: Analog audio input port Additional Information: Power: 100VAC-240VAC, 50 / 60Hz (non AC adapter type) Warranty: 1 Year

They don't, Dave. This Acorn can produce them, but it's a long time since I've had a monitor that will accept them. I do have a TV with a VGA input that will, though.
--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:11:09 -0000, "Brian Reay"

Not sure about this, and not sure how much credence to give the reviews.
ISTR that the other way is possible - in the 80s computing mags had simple passive circuits or leads, I can't remember which, to connect microcomputer monitor outputs to a TV's SCART socket. And the VGA pinout suggests it might be possible as well, though you'd have to generate SYNC signals somehow: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id 299
As for the reviews, many items of kit have more than one SCART socket, and each is wired differently - for signal sources such as a DVD Player or STB, commonly only one SCART is wired for RGB, and that may require a menu setting to make it happen. It's quite possible that the reviewers didn't realise this, and were connecting to a SCART that was outputting CV. CV definitely wouldn't work. There were quite a lot of negative reviews, though ... were the authors *all* non-technical?

Yes, I think it might be possible.

No, the standard signal for SCART is CV - Composite Video (an inferior standard and NOT the same as Component Video, which is a superior standard of the same quality as RGB). That said, most STBs and TVs available in the UK can handle RGB or Component via SCART, but for STBs these options nearly always have to be selected via a menu. Many TVs sense the signal level on Pin 16 to decide whether the input is CV or RGB, some also have extra inputs wired for Component.
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/SCART/SCART.html
Java Jive wrote:

Yes, I've done it that way round, you have to have a VGA card that can output interlace, supports a suitable clock speed and fiddle with the sync pins, but it's do-able.
My cable was along the lines of this one, but using Linux rather than Windows.
http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart /
Going back to the OP ...
Here's another alternative: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno7141

Yes, but those computers sold in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s had 625- line 50Hz interlaced video outputs (or 312-line 50Hz progressive, which is near as damn it the same thing as far as a dumb CRT is concerned). I did what you say with a BBC model B and an Atari ST. Worked beautifully. I'd never seen such a clear picture on my TV.
You can force some PC graphics cards to do 625-line 50Hz interlaced, but not many, and it's usually via third-party drivers or hacks (e.g. Power Strip). Generally, this era of computer graphics is dead and buried, hence modern PC monitors don't support it.

If you believe the French, who invented it, RGB is absolutely standard and required on SCART inputs (e.g. TVs), and used on SCART outputs when required. Our current use of it (sending full RGB pictures from digital devices) isn't what they had in mind - they thought there would be composite video with RGB teletext-like overlays cut-into the video. SCART allows this. With DVD players, STBs etc in RGB mode, they just replace the entire composite video picture with RGB - though they usually still send the composite video too.

Component via SCART is very very non-standard. There are a handful of devices that do it, and most people would call it a "bodge". S-video is somewhat standard, though again, not what the French had in mind originally.
Sorry - got carried away - this is all probably OT, but it's rare there's a discussion here that I know something about!
Cheers, David.

Not so. There would be no point in it having 21 pins if this were the case.
It was originally the French Peritel connector. This specified RGB.
--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

That's not the problem - few PC monitors display 50Hz signals, and almost none display interlaced signals. SCART is 50Hz interlaced.
(The few that may work are mostly ones that already have a TV built in, but have a VGA connector too)
Less fundamental, but still an issue: the sync pulses are different: separate H and V for VGA; both on one cable, together with the composite video(!), for SCART.

Almost certainly. And the resulting picture isn't always that good either.
Simpler solution: the Freeview box will work with any CRT with a SCART socket - and people are giving CRTs away these days.
Cheers, David.

That's not the problem - few PC monitors display 50Hz signals, and almost none display interlaced signals. SCART is 50Hz interlaced.
(The few that may work are mostly ones that already have a TV built in, but have a VGA connector too)
Less fundamental, but still an issue: the sync pulses are different: separate H and V for VGA; both on one cable, together with the composite video(!), for SCART.

Almost certainly. And the resulting picture isn't always that good either.
Simpler solution: the Freeview box will work with any CRT with a SCART socket - and people are giving CRTs away these days.
Cheers, David.
I have never seen a CRT with a scart socket
On Nov 17, 11:08pm, "the_constructor"
Did you mean to write that? They've been standard offerings on all the CRTs I've ever owned and/or looked at buying...
Mathew
In article

All the CRTs I've seen have pins on the end of the neck to connect to which are nothing like a SCART. A CRT *TV set* may well have a SCART. If new enough.
Think that's what was meant.
--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

On 17/11/2010 23:08, the_constructor wrote:

I've had several - scarts were normal for connecting eg DVD players, video players, freeview tuners before LCD took over.
M0WWS wrote:

But it won't work unless the monitor can sync to interlaced 50Hz 625 line vidoe with composite sync (most monitors can't)