Could Someone Possibly Direct In Right Direction Please ?

Page 1 of 4
I have a spare PC flat screen monitor with inputs for DVI and VGA.
I have a freeview box which has a scart socket for plugging into a TV.
Is it possible to connect the scart upto either of the inputs on the PC monitor so that I can watch TV please.
I don't have enough money to purchase a small TV or space for anything bigger than a 19" monitor.
Kindest regards,
Jim
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:19:40 -0000, "the_constructor"

Check the reviews - unless by some miracle you can make your Freeview box send VGA compatible signals out of a SCART socket (hint: you can't!), this will not work.
Cheers, David.

It'll work if the Freeview box can output RGB through the scart (instead of the usuial s-video, composite, component etc). Some can and it is selectable on a menu (you'll have fun setting it though, for obviups reasons ;-)
You'll also need to add stereo audio to the scart cable by soldering the following pins...
Audio left on scart pin 6 Right on 2 Ground on 4
and connecting those to some amplified (PC) speakers for sound.
Alternatively you can buy converters, but they will probably cost more than a display.

Gareth, have you got that the correct way around? I thought the standard for SCART was RGB.
--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/vga2rgb/scart.html

Fair enough.
--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN
Brian Reay wrote:

But a passive cable like that is relying on the monitor being able to accept TV standard sync rates (which it is unlikely to do)

Agreed. A computer monitor is exceedingly unlikely to accept 576i RGB.
--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
snipped-for-privacy@bgdsv.co.uk
On 17/11/2010 22:30, M0WWS wrote:

"SCART connectors used with many European video equipments is designed to carry composite video and RGB video signals."
SCART carries RGB and/or composite. There's no component video available on it.

Interesting, that was the way I thought it was- in fact I was sure I'd used RGB on SCART in the past. However, Gareth P thinks otherwise- perhaps two versions of SCART?
Of course, there are still the sync issue but that seems to depend on getting (very) lucky with a monitor.
To the original poster, rather thar buying a Freeview box, consider a USB DTV converter- they can be got for about the same price and you can record programmes on your PC. You can even have a mini TV screen in the corner of your PC screen so you can watch TV and "surf" at the same time- if that is you thing ;-)
-- 73 Brian G8OSN/W8OSN www.g8osn.net

sent to a different connector. It's rare that set top boxes output RGB on SCART but this one might (most DVD players do and most modern TV's take it in as it's higher quality than composite)

pin.
and they do audio which is a benefit, other wise you'd have to break out the audio on the scart lead to speakers as well as the monitor. They can be had for as little of tenner plus you can record to hdd, but the noise of the PC fan can be an issue when watching telly.

If by STB you mean a FreeView box, which make and model *doesn't* have RGB via a SCART? I have one supermarket cheapy that does - as do all my others.
Many also have a second SCART marked 'record' or even VHS. This may not offer RGB, but may offer S-Video as well as composite.
--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

I've owned three Freeview boxes and they can all output RGB. It'd be stupid not to, you'd be losing almost all the improved picture quality possible with digital TV.
--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
snipped-for-privacy@bgdsv.co.uk

they have a SCART socket, put out at least composite video, and (of course) *usually* also RGB. On my three tellies, for some unknown reason, composite is better than RGB.
--
Ian

Agreed.
Though VHS VCRs don't usually offer RGB out at all even if they use SCART connectors.

That's a little odd. I do get the impression that modern TVs are better at dealing with composite than in the past.
You do need a nice thick SCART lead to avoid odd crosstalk and mismatch effects spoiling the RGB but it's not usually a big problem on leads of normal length, say up to around 2 metres.
If it was just one TV I'd say that it probably just had a poor RGB input circuit.
--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
snipped-for-privacy@bgdsv.co.uk
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:28:08 -0000, "Brian Gregory [UK]"

However, many will output S-Video which is of intermediate quality, but at least better then Composite Video.

I suspect this comes down to what he means by 'better'.
IMV, the colours from Composite tend to be garish, RGB looks more 'natural'*. But by far the worst thing about CV on all my TVs is the dot-crawl artifacts, which are there on both the CRT and the LCDs, but are more noticeable on the latter, because of their better resolution.
*    I tend to find the same thing with CRTs generally (garish) and LCDs (natural), and between glossy photographs (garish) and matt finish (natural), and between a woman with make-up (garish and unhuman, like a doll off a factory production line) and one without (much more attractive). Yet, I know from working in the dim and distant past in a Photo Lab that most people prefer glossy photos, we've all heard so much from CRT die-hards in other newsgroups that I hesitate to risk introducing another flame war between the two technologies, and most women wear make-up, which they presumably wouldn't do if enough men expressed a preference against it.
I guess it takes all sorts ...

Any standard VHS output S-Video - or only S-VHS machines? S-VHS machines sort of introduced this in the UK, although it's used by non recorders too now.
Philips once made an ordinary VHS with RGB out. Totally pointless.
--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

On 18/11/2010 02:17, Yeti wrote:

Slightly inaccurate. There are a few SCART'ed devices (DVD Players, Freeview boxes - Netgem i-Player is one) that do provide internal menus to switch YPbPr over to the RGB pins in the SCART lead, but it's not an official feature.
Also, in the same vein it's been populary used for S-Video connections. Neither was this written in the original design brief.
i.e.
"Make a hideous connector compulsory to keep Japanese TVs out of France"
--
Adrian C

Would not putting YPbPr into an RGB feed produce a PAL picture having the washed-out appearance of an off-air NTSC picture?