corrugated roofing - fibre or asbestos ?

How do you tell the difference between asbestos cement and fibre cement roofng sheet?

(i.e. do I have a problem or do I not)

Thanks,

Gil

Reply to
Gil Mck

Pays to be [almost] as careful fith the fibre type if it's at all similar to asbestos in appearance/properties. About 20 - 25 years ago, there was an article in either some trade mag. or HSE newsletter about these boards possibly have some effects the same as asbestos. It seems fairly logical that if the fibres have the same physical properties as asbestos they could ahve the same effects.

Reply to
PeterC

Our original garage was made up of cement fibre panels (I think.... I hope!). Anyway knocked it down and took them to the tidy tip "Oi, that ain't asbestos is it?" came a voice from a yellow hi-vis jacket "No, I don't think so" said I. "That's alright then" said the hi-vis jacket. So it must have been OK

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

Nice to have an expert opinion.

Reply to
PeterC

The properties have to be very close - you even need the right kind of asbestos. It's the precise properties of the splinters as they enter the cells in the lining of the lungs that does all the damage.

BTW I suspect Mr Hi-Vis at the dump knew as much as most "experts"!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Gil,

The only certain way is to send a sample for analysis (as your local council for the address of the relevant laboratory) - but this will cost you!

Now if the sheets are more than around 10 years old, then it's odds-on that they will be a cement base that is mixed with around 14% of Chrysotile (white asbestos) - and is safe enough as long as its not broken, rubbed down with abrasives or scraped.

Some sensible advice at the link below (and I have copied the removal of asbestos from there) - but there is lots more advice if you want to look for it.

Removal of asbestos cement (eg corrugated shed roof or garages)

Householders can undertake the removal of asbestos cement products provided that the following precautions are observed: a.. keep everyone out of the work area who does not need to be there. b.. thoroughly soak the material before starting work. You are advised to introduce a suitable wetting agent, eg washing-up liquid, into the water before saturation. c.. do not use power tools, use hand tools only. d.. carefully undo fixing bolts, screws etc and remove panels complete. e.. avoid breaking asbestos-containing material into small pieces, i.e. do not use hammers or drop materials from heights into refuse skips. f.. stack the removed sheets in the open and cover with plastic sheeting. g.. never sweep asbestos pieces ? use a vacuum cleaner that complies with BS 5145, known as type "H" (available from hire shops). h.. put pieces in stout plastic sacks and seal. i.. always work in well-ventilated areas. j.. persons handling asbestos should wear hooded disposable over-clothing, and thoroughly wash exposed skin on completion of work. You are advised to hire from a reputable hire shop (see Yellow Pages telephone directory) a suitable dust mask specified for asbestos dust (reference FFP 3).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Oh for hindsight. As a teenager in the fifties I can remember helping my father to cut these panels with a circular saw when his garage needed repairing after the car tried to come out through the wrong end.

Reply to
Keith W

I know how you feel Keith, as an apprentice, and later into my on-site working life, I used to cut and drill the stuff (very often up to 1/2" thick) with power tools and by hand - and no one ever told me of the risks at the time.

Cash

Reply to
Cash