CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

Page 5 of 5

I think you were way over his head there
--
geoff

nobby wrote:

A typical CORGI fitter earns 100k? I think not.

None that I know of. However, I have heard many stories of cowboy corgis making large amounts by scamming people with unnecessary and vastly overpriced work - such as a 1,000 repair to a thermostat on a pensioners boiler reported in a local paper recently, but I have no evidence of such. Perhaps you do?

After getting 3 quotes for what seemed ( to me ) to be absolute rip-off prices and being told that "if you don't use a corgi reg fitter you will die.... its that simple mate " I then went ahead and fitted my own combi boiler. I had never even plumbed a tap before in my life nor changed a tap washer, none of those technical things, what I do have is common sense. The best quote I had was 500 labour and was told it would take 2 days due to it not being a the same make of boiler out as in. I did it myself in 6 hours without any experience and having to go buy a couple tools and standard tea breaks..... oh and it cost me 25.00. That was 18 months ago and I'm still here to tell the tail. I have since remodelled the bathroom including fitting and extractor fan (which I wired myself) I have rewired my garage/workshop totally I have replaced all the windows in my house. I have also been told that if I rewire my house "you will die....its that simple mate" Guess what my next job is........
These so-called experts may have a license to print money but it won't be my money
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:03:40 +0100, Denon wrote:

Oh dear.
How did you check that the pipework was properly sized for your combi, and check the working gas pressure at the boiler?
How did you verify the integrity of your gas pipework?
What sort of soldering flux did you use on it and how did you apply it? And what did you do to each joint after you'd soldered it?
What did you do with the pipe where it passed through any solid walls?
How did you make non-soldered joints?
What cleanser did you use to flush the system with? And what inhibitor did you put it in after it was properly flushed?
What system controls did you end up with? How many TRVs did you have to add to radiators to bring it up to current Building Regs energy efficiency standards?

Where do you live? Just so I can keep clear ...
--
John Stumbles

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security

Oi - that was me 20 years ago
We all have to start somewhere
UK-diy exists for those who want to DIY and need a bit of guidance
Not for fuckwits who are too stupid to remove a sticker from their car's rear window or (I haven't even looked at the thread) people who can't even sort out what trousers to wear to DIY
ISTR a lot of us have come a long way over the years, lets not forget where we started
... rant over
p.s. how scary
my 25 year endowment mortgage matures next year
where did the time go ?
--
geoff

You see here an aura of total arrogance born of ( I presume) certificate ownership. You have never met me John and you have absolutely no idea of my capabilities, what you base your derogitory comments on is the fact that YOU and a few others have a certificate stating that you are skilled in a particular proffession and you have bought a certificate to prove it. I believe it is down to you and others with your attitude that has set a divide between i.e. Gas Fitters and corgi reg Gas Fitters the latter is always mentioned with a strange smile or a roll of the eyes along with certified electricians and the like.
It really is simple John, if I need a certificate to state that a certain appliance is fitted properly etc....I can pick up the phone and get one....... for a tenner that is what your certification is worth to the normal everyday home-owner like me........a tenner, this is also how it used to work when I was a teenager and needed an MOT on my car, I knew it was safe but didn't have a peice of paper to prove it. I'm not saying that this certified stupidity isn't the law..... I know it is,...... is it really needed ? only in the eyes of the eu and our penny greedy government ( oh and the certificated ones) because they make money from it not because they are bothered someone may be hurt.
You can have a lot of fum with this one John but by the time you read it I will be on a plane for a short break in Georgia where you don't need such certificates and people do just fine...have fun
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 07:34:56 +0100, Denon wrote:

... is your saying you did in 6 hours a job which a skilled and experienced engineer doing the job properly & not cutting corners would have taken a lot longer to do

I've paid for a lot of training and assessments, and got a lot of experience through doing this sort of work for a living for several years. What have you got?
--
John Stumbles

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 23:54:40 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

I too am irritated by the assertion that somehow the professionals spin out a job which a relatively inexperienced person can do in a few hours.
The 6 hours is probably the absolute minimum to get a functional system. There will be very many aspects of best practice left undone.
About the only thing that a diyer might not have to do is the paperwork. Making good might be expected from a pro (bricking up old flue holes has got to be part of 50% of all jobs).
Cleaning of the existing circuit, upgrading of the controls to comply with Part L. That alone is a solid days work on most systems.

That - and making the new hole and making good - took me more than 6 hours. And I had plenty spare matching bricks. But you'd be hard pushed to see where the old terminal was now. Add in plumbing in the condensate drain plus piping up the pressure release circuit took pretty well all of a long day. I'd love to see a boiler change done it 6 hours by one person - unless it was simply fitting an new identical one. I'll bet it's a mess.
--
*It was all so different before everything changed.