CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

Page 2 of 5

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:03:58 +0100, nobby wrote:

I didn't read it as a 'requirement' (if I'm thinking of the same article as you) - it was about (not) commissioning installations done by unregistered installers. I can't recall the exact details of the article and cba to trawl through those of my back issues I haven't yet chucked out, let alone to subject myself to CORGI's truly dire and buggy flash-based online archive, but I think the gist was that to *commission* (i.e. to fill in the benchmark logbook and generally take responsibility for) an installation one needs to be sure all aspects of the installation - including the wet pipework - have been done correctly. (In the case of wet pipework this would be ensuring the system has been flushed and dosed correctly.)
The article was written from a typical CORGI point of view of Advanced Arsecovering. That's an observation, not necessarily a criticism: in the context of commissioning an essentially-cowboy installations one has to consider that if the cowboy has f**ked something up (acid flux in a gas pipe corroding it through a few years later, gas pipe joint not soldered in pipe laid in floor, boiler not secure to wall, crud in primary blocking heat exchanger ...) they'll be long gone riding off into the sunset when muggins gets clobbered for their wrongdoings which he signed off as his own work ... for how much money?
--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:41:46 -0700 (PDT), clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

No. Moreover Corgis are not engineers, most are not technicians either, but simply "monkey see monkey do" gas fitters.
ermm that make 400- 500 a day most days....

Almost as much of a scandal as Wayne Rooney...

Wayne Rooney probably knows more about gas fitting!

I think that in the real world, someone in plumbing/gas fitting would be extremely lucky to earn 400 any day, never mind 'most days'. 200 I could understand, though even then, it would not be common to earn that every working day. Alan.
--
To reply by e-mail, change the \' + \' to \'plus\'.

I think it would largely depend to what extent your moral code allowed you to rip off your customers.
Likely to make 400 a day you would have to be willing to frog-march little old ladies to the post office to withdraw their savings.
Mel.
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:33:56 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

That sounds about right. The £200 a day is the turn over not the take home. A small one man business would have £75+ per working day of overheads.

unless you're one of the rip off cowboys who lie and cheat their way through the day
I had a customer last year who thought a CORGI had ripped him off by charging him for his own pcb
As luck would have it, it was a Baxi Solo (Mk1) and the older blue board hadn't been on sale for more than three years [1]
This is obviously how our man here makes his money
[1] which resulted in a prosecution following my writing a letter to the court
--
geoff

that's silenced the majority of you fuckwits....or are you out delivering pizzas.

Well, it's obvious that the term 'CORGI engineer' is an oxymoron. And you're just a moron.

Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people trained and certified elsewhere.
I think this thread has shown that people have little respect for CORGI or for tradesmen in general. That would be their won fault and not the publics. Bring back the apprenticeships I say - where 'tradesmen' actually learned their trade and took pride in doing a good job.
Mel.
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:56:02 UTC, "Astral Voyager"

That was my point...the term 'engineer' is much misused.

There are some good tradesmen around, who have to pay through the nose for their 'guild membership'.
Bob Eager wrote:

Sadly we dont have a word - apart from 'mechanic' 'electrician' ' or 'plumber' for someone who has passed some sort of trade exam, but is not what in France or Germany would be called an engineer: Namely someone with a professional academic degree in an engineering discipline.

The point was that there is no such thing as a 'CORGI engineer'. Even if you accept the term 'engineer' then CORGI has nothing to do with it. CORGI is merely a registration body who (I assume as a minimum) verify and confirm a certification issued by another body. So the term should be 'CORGI registered engineer'. Semantics maybe...but clarifies what CORGI's role actually is.
Mel.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:29:18 +0100, Astral Voyager wrote:

CORGI don't describe them (us) as such: it was the term used by the OP. CORGI's current term is "Installer" (as in Registered Installer, as in Council Of Registered Gas Installers = CORGI)
--
John Stumbles

I can\'t stand intolerance

It almost makes you not want to be involved if that were possible.
The diligent and experienced person effectively has the same status as the 17 year old who can only just about manage to solder.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:03:50 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Or not, as in our case when the CORGI muppet let his pet puppy install our CH pipework.
We didn't ask for an integral shower in the hallway, but we got one.
Don.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:03:50 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

What, because of the name? I could get pedantic about the fact that I do repairs, maintenance and inspection as well as installing but life's too short :-)

A plumbing qualification is a prerequisite for the gas training (which of course absolutely guarantees that the person will have appropriate plumbing skills ... just as a driving licence guarantees that a person is a competent driver [sigh]) but ability to solder and other basic plumbing skills aren't part of the gas assessment.
Actually the driving analogy (s/solder/drive/ in what you said) is interesting, but with the gas thing you get assessed on your work every year or two and have to re-do the whole assessment every 5 years. That's a model I'd like to see on the roads: discuss [ducks :-)]
--
John Stumbles

Extreme moderate

So how did the CORGI who was fitting a fan and PCB I supplied to his customer need me to explain to him how to test an air pressure switch
today that is
So, the customer had paid for a pcb and fan and, because of his misdiagnosis, they weren't the fault
a) lucky they bought from me because of i) price ii) backup
b) I dread to think what his driving's like if I have to follow your analogy
--
geoff