CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

Page 1 of 5

If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by a corgi engineer or can I do it myself (and have no hassles when I come to sell the house)? . Obviously I will need to drain down the system so does this have a bearing on the answer?

No, you can do this yourself. Corgi is only for gas appliances, gas fire, boiler etc
clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Can I suggest that you investigate buying a pipe-freezing kit? Screwfix sells them for <9 quid, IIRC.
If the job is going to take more than 10 mins, just put isolation valves in circuit as the first step and you can take as long as you like, plumbing to those.
-- Sue

Or buy a bung kit and bung the F&E pipes (if you have them). Then you have no danger of trying to get the job done before the pipes melt and you get wet.

The Corgi requirement (if indeed there is one - because that is a moot point in itself) only applies to gas connections. Assuming your radiator is not heated *directly* by gas, but rather by water heated by a gas boiler elsewhere in the circuit, there's no reason whatsoever why you can't DIY it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Well that makes them to be The Sun of the gas world then!
nobby wrote in

Leaving aside the Corgi/competent person argument, and without seeing the article in the Corgi mag, there's an ambiguity there with "connect gas and water to a boiler".
Is it suggesting that only a Corgi fitter can attach a water carrying pipe directly to a gas boiler or is it suggesting that only a Corgi fitter can attach any water carrying element of a CH system that has a gas boiler as part of the system?
[Y'know, that seemed so clear in my mind when I started to type it - I think it makes sense but don't try too hard.]
--
PeterMcC

If you thought that this was ambiguos and misleading, look at some of the wording on their web site. Phrases such as "likely to be illegal" for example. They can't actually *say* illegal because the relevant Acts don't support the statement.

And we all believe what CORGI says. They have lied so often in the past why start believing them now?
--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn\'t exist.

Is it fuck
and can you not refer to them as engineers, they are not allowed to ENGINEER anything, they are fitters, they fit and install
You can do whatever you want to your own boiler as long as you are "competent" - which cuts out a significant proportion of CORGI fitters
CORGI are a self interest company, they are very good at distorting the facts (such as conveniently pretending that you have to be registered to work on a gas appliance FOR FINANCIAL GAIN)
--
geoff

Everyone who has a full UK driving licences is deemed to be a competent and qualified driver. One only has to venture onto the roads to see that does not hold true. Likewise any certification only means the person managed to muddle through at time of testing and says nothing of their competence to carry out the task at any other time.
Mel.

That is quite a comical statement after seeing some of the work done by some Corgi 'engineers' shown at times on this group. It was only last month that pictures were posted here of an upturned bucket used as a gas fire flue, fitted by a 'competent' CORGI registered fitter.
I'm currently working on a house where the boiler fitter has removed the stop cock inside the house. He said it was too stiff to turn, so removed it, fitted a new section of pipe in place of the stop cock, and said to turn the water off out in the street if need be. Alan.
--
To reply by e-mail, change the \' + \' to \'plus\'.

writes

Ah but you are confusing "competence" (as in what you've got) and "Competence" which is what CORGI registered people have. The government set up the scheme so they could define "Competence" as they (and the courts) like things easily defined (it's cheaper that way). It's nothing to do with whether they are any good at the work. Your undoubted competence doesn't count (unless you have documentary evidence to prove it) however great it is. Those CORGIs who are incompetent don't count either (other than that CORGI might prefer not to have CORGI isnpired accidents). CORGI aren't concerned with safety. The governent were concerned about being seen to do nothing about safety - now they can say they are. The law may be an ass, and it's supporters deserving of being told to go forth and multiply but that doesn't stop it being the law!
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

The word "forum" may also say something ;)
--
PeterMcC

He's gone very quiet
Was it something we said ?
--
geoff

They come, they go...
(apart from Drivel, that is)

Lost your argument, I see.
writes

Of course CORGI fitters are safe
http://www.thestar.co.uk/barnsley/Gas-safety-fear-check.3996651.jp http://www.hvnplus.co.uk/page.cfm/action=Archive/ArchiveID=4/EntryID16
How dare you slag them off:-)
Adam
@@ wrote:

Yeah, we all dream of being CORGI fitters....