cooker hood flue termination?

Hi again folks I am fitting a cooker hood and a previous post to the group helped me with location of the fused spur but I`m wondering how to terminate the flue now. I live in a semi bungalow with three pitched roofs so no flat wall to run and terminate the flue to. The hood has a 125mm flue connection (its a 1m wide hood) and I`m wondering if it is possible to terminate the flue in the roofspace as its not like its a proper flue from a gas appliance (I`m a corgi engineer) and I can`t seem to find any other way of terminating it outside. I thought about adapting a roof tile vent but the thought of gales blowing down the hood put me off. The hood is next to a window so can`t duct it off the top of the hood and through the downstairs walls. Ideally I would like to use it to extract the fumes but it looks like I might have to use it to simply filter and recycle the air. Any advice from the group would be very helpful. Cheers Steve

Reply to
Steve

My first reaction was a, "What if there is, say, a chip pan fire? Could the fire spread up the flue into the loft space?".

I can't imagine that, under normal circumstances and a well-ventilated loft, dumping kitchen air, even damp air with combustion by-products and a bit of evaporated cooking fat/oil, into the loft is going to cause

*that* much of a problem. But I can see that it could. It will have to condense out somewhere, even if the filters in the hood take out almost all of it. Without the filters, I wouldn't even consider it.

I'd leave it on recycle - and maybe add a window ventilator/fan - although, if they do spring-loaded roof-tile vents, I'd possibly risk the gales. But then, I live at the bottom of a valley and gales aren't much of a problem. YMMV.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Yes thanks for that Sue I did think about the damp air and where it would end up. We seem to have one of those ruddy kitchens where everything is two steps forward and one back or perhaps its just me ;-).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Unless you use electrically or mechaniclly closing vents you will always get a back draft in strong winds. I have used vent tiles before to extract fans and there is little draft down the vent

The hood is next to a window so can`t

Is the hood on an external wall and you just do not want to extract near a window or is the window actually in the way of the duct?

Ideally I would like to use it to extract the fumes but it looks like I

I take it that you cannot get down through the eaves as you first wanted. Even if there is limited space at the eaves and you have to reduce the size of the vent this is better than recyling the fumes and definately better than venting into a loft

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , Steve writes

I've always thought venting into the roofspace was a terrible bodge. I was thinking of a roof vent with one of those mushroom cowls and thought the backdraught would be low but I can't find one on a quick search. Here's a link for a tile vent with spigot:

you're worried about draughts then an inline gravity backdraught shutter should sort that out, there's one on
for 6quid, code

193-5676 but I'm sure you can find a more convenient source.
Reply to
fred

Thanks Adam the hood isn`t on an outside wall and I can`t get a flue to the outside wall from where its positioned. There is a 2" gap between the tiles and wall to get to the eaves although its about 16" wide (ie rafter to rafter).Its not ideal but I suppose I could just run the flue vent pipe to this gap and fit a vent below it in the eaves but then the duct would not be connected the whole run. That back draught shutter and grill looks promising Fred, it looks better than some of those bulky roof vent tiles I`ve seen, cheers for that. Steve

Reply to
Steve