Conventional Gas boilers

My current set up of a free standing gas boiler, Baxi Boston, which provides hot water and central heating is now 11 years old. It is prone to breakdown and it takes nearly a week to get my insurance to provide an engineer to attend only to say "it is an older boiler we do not carry all the parts". This means a further delay while the parts are sent for.
I am thinking of changing to a newer version however I would like to stay with the conventional system with a tank in the loft ect. I have a power shower which I believe you can not have with a combi.
I am not sure what is available in the conventional boilers and due to where my current boiler is situated in the kitchen I would not be able to have a drain outlet for a condensing boiler. I would be grateful for any advise and recommendations on boilers as my search on the net is somewhat confusing and the number of breakdown complaints does not give me any pointers to the best make. Thanks
--
John D

I note what you say about sticking with a conventional boiler John - but I would suggest you reconsider. My old Baxi boiler was over 25 years old and despite remaining reliable I wanted to change. I'd always been 'anti' combis because I knew of so many people who had them and did nothing but complain about unreliablity and them taking an hour to fill a bath.
After a lot of hard research and soul searching, my wife and I made the decision to go for a modern combi ( a Worcester Bosch 30CDi) . We had the new boiler installed three months ago and are 100% satisfied with it.
For a start we have been able to get rid of the water tanks in the loft (both the tanks for feeding the hot water cyliner and for feeding the central heating system). The hot water cylinder has gone - and also the airing cupboard it was in - enabling us to install an offset quadrant shower cubicle in the bathroom where the airing cupboard used to be.
We had a 'power shower' over the bath before, but the new shower which is fed directly from the cold mains and from the combi hot supply is superb. Because the hot water supply is now at mains pressure it doesn't need a pump and so you have the benefit of a power shower flow, without the need for a noisy pump. I did have concerns about whether the pressure from the combi would be enough for the shower - but it's great.
It perhaps takes a few minutes longer to fill a bath than it did before - but certainly no longer and it's no inconvenience.
The radiators heat up much more rapidly from cold now - because the boiler is only required to heat up the radiators and not a tank full of hot water at the same time (a tank full that you may not use as well!!)
You say that because your boiler is in the kitchen there would be no drain outlet for the condensate from a condensing boiler - but the condensate can be fed directly into the drain from your sink - it does not have to empty into an outside drain.
Of course the decision is yours - but unless you can demonstrate that a condensing boiler is out of the question, you are required by law to have one installed. I am now a complete convert to the benefits of combis and have no regrets at all about switching. We now a more efficient central heating system. Cheaper hot water because the boiler only heats the water that is required - not a whole tank full. More space in the loft now that all the tanks have gone - and more space in the bathroom now that the hot water cylinder and airing cupboard have gone.
Have a think about it!
DIY

the reasoning and benefits do look very sound and I am aware of most of them. I have converted my bathroom and we no longer have a bath only a very large shower area.That is a plus I suppose. Your comments about reliability was one of the issues raised when I have spoken to friends on their boilers.
However I am happy to say at this moment in time after a visit and repair my boiler man said the boiler is sound and will last for a couple of more years. So the decision is on hold!! However I will file the information you have given.
Once again thank you for your excellent reply Merc3