Control for automatic garage door

My hand control no longer works on my automatic garage door although the direct switch inside the garage allow me to open the door from inside the garage. I immediately thought that the battery needed replaced but there is no sign of a battery in the hand controller. Unfortunately the manufacturer is no longer in business. Can anyone suggest how I can repair the controller or can I get an alternative controller? Blair
bm wrote:

Well there should be a battery, they do not work by magic! What is the controller make and model.
I replaced my parents unit a few months ago. I ordered it from here
http://www.garage-door-remotes.co.uk /
I actually swapped the remotes and the receiver to improve security as it was a very old setup.
--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
Many thanks Adam The unit is a Henderson 880 with a reference No 35A880A I looked up your web site and was told that this controller was not now available but they suggested fitting a new receiver and controller. I would hate to buy this and then find difficulty in fitting it What do you think? Blair

bm wrote:

It does say that it takes 5 minutes to install. I fitted my parents in 2 minutes.
http://www.garage-door-remotes.co.uk/ts433-henderson.htm
It really is as easy as they say.
My parents now can open the garage door from the bottom of the street instead of when halfway up the drive.
--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
On 11/22/11 1:41 AM, bm wrote:

Look harder for a battery. It may be that the battery has a size or shape different from what you were looking for. Or tell us the brand and we will look for the battery.
McGyver
The unit is a Henderson 880 The controller is split down the sides and it has a small door on the front. When opened there is no sign of a battery. I have tried opening the sides but nothing moves
Blair

On 11/23/11 9:27 AM, bm wrote:

Strange. I would have bet that the small door would be the battery compartment. This device is a transmitter. It cannot operate without power. And since it is a hand-held remote, the power must come from a battery. Therefore, there must either be a battery or a battery compartment.
I looked up the transmitter for the Henderson 880. The transmitter part number for your remote transmitter is either HER9900 -Henderson 173.3MHz black/red button TX1 transmitter or HER9800 - Alltronik (Henderson type) 27MHz TX1 handset depending on the year your 880 was made.
I found that information on page 90 of the Sparesmaster Retail Catalog 0209 which you can find here, with a picture of your remote transmitter: www.upandover.co.uk/.../SparesmasterRETAILCatalogue0209.pdf
Those transmitters are no longer available, as you said. If you end up needing a new remote, you will need to buy a new receiver to go with it. Replacement receiver and transmitter combinations are available as kits. Sparesmasters offered kit is described here: http://sparesmaster.co.uk/manufacturers/Default.asp?wdgt16460651=1_storeShoppingCart001Browser&iuid 563214
But your battery replacement question must be dealt with first, of course, because that might be all you need. Doorteck Garage Doors might be a good source of information about the battery. I suggest you try contacting Doortech by telephone at: 0800 046 1074. Their email address is: snipped-for-privacy@doorteck.com .
Doorteck also has a contact forms which allows you to book a free sales call or submit a question. They will be able to advise about your remote unit, including the battery mystery: http://www.doorteck.co.uk/contact-us.php .
Quantek has a product which replaces a Henderson 880 receiver and transmitter remote for 59 pounds. You will find the sales description here: http://www.quantekshop.co.uk/gdo230.html .
There are other companies selling similar replacement products for lost or defective Henderson 800 remotes. This one has a picture of the pre-1992 version of your Henderson 880 remote transmitter: http://www.garage-door-remotes.co.uk/ts433-henderson.htm
McGyver

Many thanks for your comprehensive and helpful reply I will persue the battery replaqcement first Sorry about my last two replies which was a result of my system not allowing my reply as there were too many lines Regards Blair
On 11/25/11 10:54 PM, bm wrote:

word when three would do as well.
McGyver

I decided to check the settings in the hand controller to see if they matched the settings in the receiver. I then noticed that one of the terminals was barely touching so when this was corrected my hand controller worked A good example of the good advice -always check all connections first. Many thanks again for your advice- I will keep a note of it in case I may need it in future Regards Blair

http://www.expressgaragedoors.co.uk/