Conservatory Privacy

Page 2 of 3

No that's not right. The correct position since the (English) rules were 'relaxed' last October is that conservatories and extensions are treated the same, and if you have Permitted Development Rights then you can freely build an extension or a conservatory right on the side boundary of your house so long as the highest part of the roof is no more than 4m high. In theory then you could put up a flat roof extension right on the boundary 4m high quite legitimally. There are certainly not any (English) regulations which say you have to leave a gap, but your foundation strip must not cross onto your neighbour's land. If you want to know more visit the Planning Portal. AJ

No that's not right. The correct position since the (English) rules were 'relaxed' last October is that conservatories and extensions are treated the same, and if you have Permitted Development Rights then you can freely build an extension or a conservatory right on the side boundary of your house so long as the highest part of the roof is no more than 4m high. In theory then you could put up a flat roof extension right on the boundary 4m high quite legitimally. There are certainly not any (English) regulations which say you have to leave a gap, but your foundation strip must not cross onto your neighbour's land. If you want to know more visit the Planning Portal. AJ
The conservatory has been up about 3 years now maybe 4.

I would have thought that they would have been obliged to put in obscured glass as a minimum.
mark

My sentiments exactly. I will accept no fence but I want obscure glass as a minimum. They have a blind but they keep opening it which to me is NOT acceotable!

Keep us all posted on what your visiting official says.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Yes I will let you all know the outcome. At this moment in time I'm hoping a planning officer will say they need obscure glass. When they pay for that to be done then I will erect a big, massive, in your face fence to block out any shred of light from my side into their conservatory :)

Have someones granny sunbathe naked just outside their window. On a warm day of course.
mark
mark wrote:

and tanned and gorgeous man... and wait for his wife to invite all her girl-friends around to ogle. Then invite some gorgeous girls around and get his wife upset. You could *so* mess with their minds........ <evil chuckle>
A L P

Planning Officer came today and said they had built the conservatory right on the boundary and there is nowt I can do about it even with the clear glass windows. He said I could build a wall or a fence upto 2 metres tall bang next to it which will be my best option now. Shame I wanted it taking down as well, ah well nevermind I will paint my fence multicoloured on their said and brown on my side :)

What's to stop them painting it brown on their side?

It depends what part of their conservatory is on the boundary. If it's the outside face of the wall then the foundation strip will be on your land. Planning officers don't always get it right, before last October you could build a conservatory up to 70cu m at the rear without needing planning permission, but, only if the volume of that conservatory and any other extensions added up to not more than 70cu m. (English rules). Also you are entitled to build up to 4m high on the boundary now with a max rear projection of 3m for a semi, and all without PP.

<snip>
<snip>
I see in our local paper that Cliff Richard has just fallen foul of that rule and the local authority are telling him to demolish his new conservatory because with previous extension it exceeds the limit.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Yes it made the Daily Mail didn't it. Planning and planners often defy logic, which is very frustrating for anyone who needs to make regular professional contact with them, sometimes more common sense is needed.
AJH wrote:

That one makes (some) sense. Fine, I can put a little extension, or a conservatory on, without permission. Can I then put on another, and another, and another? Until my house is 3 times the original size?
That's why it's blocked.`
Andy

I would think that he was probably badly advised by whoever supplied his conservatory, possibly through ignorance, but I think that because selling conservatories is very competitive, some companies probably don't tell householders that they need planning permission as of course it adds costs. They should do really as they ought to be aware about planning rules. You can do certain things under Permitted DevelopmentRights but you can't keep adding with out PP unless you are still within what is allowed under the PDR for your house. Not all house have PDRs, most new houses will need planning permission for virtually any external changes and even for garage conversions. I'm not sure why they want Cliff to demolish his as surely all he needs to do is to apply for retrospective planning permission. maybe he did this and it was refused, if so an appeal is the next step. When all else fails the LA enforcement departments will rarely resort to demolition these days as they can only really afford to send out written notices.
AJ

what is the problem? If you are concerned about privacy, erect a fence to block their view of your property.
Painting the fence garish colours on their side appears unnecessarily antagonistic and just a bit childish, get over it.
--
fred

I think you will find it's antagonistic, childish, selfish, rude, dispicable, unwarranted and damned ignorant to build a conservatory on a boundary with clear glass. No one asked for your useless input so you GET OVER IT!
Newbie wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right. You're lowering yourself to their level by antagonising them. Do you think you're better than that?
Neighbour disputes are not funny and can make peoples life's hell. If you just erect a fence and leave it at that then you're likely to end it there instead of feeding it.

fred

Actually, you did.
--
Andrew Gabriel