condensation on outside of new double glazing

We've just had four new doubled glazed windows fitted. On a damp morning you can't see out because of the condensation on the outside of the glass. I can go out and wipe it off but it just comes back, a bit like condensation on the inside of single glazed windows. Is this normal? I have four older double glazed windows that are completely clear. If I complain am I going to be told that they are so thermally efficient that the outer pane stays very cold?? Thank you

Reply to
figgy

If it's Pilkington K glass then less heat is lost to the outside so the outer pane is colder. I had new DG windows installed this year, with K glass, and on some mornings some of the outer panes have condensation on the outside. It has always evaporated so far. It's when you get condensation inside the sealed units or on the inner surface of the inside pane that you need to get worried!

Reply to
Codswallop

I had a new backdoor and window put in roundabout May this year. I have also noticed over the last few days when mornings have been really cold that condensation is on the outside of the glass. I'll have to give the |DG man a call and find out why.

Reply to
the_constructor

Is there a gas appliance flue anywhere nearby?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There is a gas flue outlet round the corner on the adjoining wall. I suppose that could well be producing lots of steam early morning. figgy

Reply to
figgy

Havnt you seen condensation on parked cars in the morning? Or dew on the grass? Condensation forms on any cold surface so that means your windows are cold on the outside which means they are insulating well :thumbs up:

Reply to
marvelus

Why would the window be colder than the outside air?

I don't get condensation on the exterior of any of my windows.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Because they are radiating more heat than they are receiving, which is the same reason any surface can be colder than the air. Conduction to the air is not the only heat transfer mechanism. An object at, say, 276K is going to lose a lot more heat out into space at 3K than it is going to receive back. This is no different to an object getting hotter in the sun than the surrounding air temperature, only the other way around.

You are probably wasting more heat than the OP keeping the outside of your windows warmer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel