Compression fittings.

I have to move a rad from a pressurized system jointed entirely with soldered fittings.Whenever I have tried to use thesemyself they never seem to seal.All the solder bubbles out in my desire to make sure it has all sealed and the end result is dismal. Can I use brass compression fittings to do the job??

TIA

Reply to
Capt T

Why not? Although they have problems of their own - time, thermal expansion and contraction cycles, vibration, distorted pipe not sealing, over-tightening, under-tightening etc...plus, of course, the cost.

Yorkshire fittings and really clean, degreased, de-oxidised and fluxed parts should be a dream - just heat until that little ring of silver appears...

Reply to
Palindrome

I agree, the secret of good soldered joints is cleaning the pipe really well with wire wool, then apply a thin layer of flux to the cleaned section that is to form part of the joint, check the fitting is clean, assemble and heat both the pipe and fitting at the same time till the solder runs.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Yes, go ahead and use compression fittings. They will do the job ok but just look a bit bulky when in exposed positions.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

I always clean & flux the inside of the fittings as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman