Comparing Batteries ?

I have posted this on a couple of disability groups but activity is virtually nil.
I am in need of some new batteries for my wheelchair and mobility scooter.
So many different makes on eBay. eg MK, Lucas, Yausa, Ritar etc etc etc
Anyone any thoughts on which would be best to go for.
Kindest regards,
JIm
on 07/03/2011, the_constructor supposed :

I would suggest they are pretty much of a muchness. Just ensure the one you get is designed for deep cycle.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Over time we have used quite a few of these for differing applications standby power motors etc. Yausa seem to have been the best of the bunch:)...
--
Tony Sayer

the_constructor wrote:

Yausa or Varta would be my first choice
Lucas?  Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
-

The Lucas brand name for car stuff has now nothing to do with the old Lucas company. Although you might wonder about the wisdom of anyone buying and using it.
--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

On 07/03/2011 22:47, the_constructor wrote:

I haven't read any of the info within the pages of this link but, it may be of use...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/210431/car_batteries.html
...Ray.
--
Learn why we are suffering..
www.zeitgeistthefilm.com/

Car use and motor traction use are a bit different . The NP would be the best person to ask re batteries he's very knowledgeable on those...

--
Tony Sayer

NP ? Jim

The Natural Philosopher who posts hereon...
--
Tony Sayer

scribeth thus

Thanks to all who have helped so far.
Next question.
AGM, GEL or Superior GEL.?
12V 33AHr
Jim

Any of those would work fine. Where have you found the best prices on these so far?
NT

Hi Jim
As others have suggested - and FWIW, I'd go for Yausa too. My mother-in-law needed some new batteries in her 4-wheeled mobility scooter and that was the make everyone seemed to say was the most reliable.
Just a personal thing - I'd be very wary of buying them off eBay. Better to check around local battery suppliers and pay a bit more - that way, if the batteries don't perform the way they should, you can get them to sort out the problem. I've heard some sad tales of apparent 'bargains' on auction sites. Others may have wonderful tales to tell, but with something as critical as a mobility scooter or wheelchair, you need reliability above all else.
I found the Disability Living Foundation very helpful http://www.dlf.org.uk/ for expert advice for her. I'm sure you already know about it, but thought I should mention them for anyone who hasn't heard of them.
Good luck!
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:04:59 -0000, "NewsOnline"

fleece, but how do electric vehicle users stay warm?
As efficiency goes up there is no room for "comfortable" heat generation so do the owners of that new one million pound Rolls Royce have to dress up in thermals, or generate a kW or so of heating from PP3,s?
HN
@clara.co.uk says...

Electric heaters. No, really, they just have to top up the waste heat from the motor with juice from the battery.
-- Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:03:02 -0000, Skipweasel

Waste heat?
There is little waste in a modern motor. I would hazard a guess that most of the heat loss was via the tyres and air compression.
HN

Electric heaters run from the battery pile. That's why they rarely give the range advertised by the maker. Using lights, indicators, radio, wipers and most of all demisters and heaters reduce range enormously.
Mike

Don't worry. Many, many other people sre as slow as you in spotting one of the major flaws in EVs for the UK climate.
MBQ