Combi hot water problem

I have a Ferroli Optima 1001 which over the last couple of weeks has only supplied hot water intermittently, some times you can run the hot tap for ages & only get cold water, other times hot water is okay or yet again you get hot water for a few seconds & then it reverts to cold again. Anyone had the problem & is there a fix?

Cheers.

Reply to
drew

Had a similar problem with my Ravenheat boiler ... turn the tap on and luke warm water ... turn it on another time and nice and hot ... gradually got worse and worse until only luke warm all the time. Had a scratch of the head until the light bulb came on and ping ... I thought the heat exchanger for the hot water must be faulty as everything else ok. Took mine out and inside was clogged with lime scale (lots of loose lime scale as well which must have intermittently clogged the heat exchanger) ... a nice drop of brick acid inside it to dissolve the lime scale and after a few times of swilling it out and putting some more acid in I popped it back in ... worked a treat and hot water supply resumed.

Ash.

Reply to
Ash

Opps ... forgot to mention that the heat exchange unit for my boiler (Ravenheat) is around £164 + Vat + delivery to buy (+ fitting) ... so it's worth a try cleaning your old one (if that's where the fault is) before buying a new one. Hope you find the fault.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Nothing better to do today so I've had a look around and a heat exchange unit for yours appears to be around £278 + VAT + delivery

a lot of money so you need to find someone (if you can't have a tinker yourself ... but keep away from the gas side of things as that's a job for a CORGI person) who can check your boiler out.

It could also be the heat exchange thermostat ... does the boiler fire up when you turn the tap on and then cut off whilst the tap is still on? Or does the boiler continue to burn but no hot water comes out of the tap?

Reply to
Ash

CORGI is gone mate. It is Gas Safe now.

It is still legal to work on your own gas if you are competent.

Adan

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Competent as in know what you're doing, or competent as in having the right bit of paper?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Fitted both our central heating systems and connected the gas supply and our gas fire ... no problems ... seen too many bodge jobs from 'competent certificated CORGI' fitters to know that I can do a better job. What I can't do is advise people to have a go themselves with gas. It's not rocket science to work with gas you just need to be carful and diligent in what you do.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

Competent as is competent is.

You do not need the paperwork for gas to work on your own house.

If you can do a drop test and show your work is fine then you can gas it youself.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth