Combi Boiler Pressure ?

My combi over the last month or so is losing pressure, it used to be a rare case of using the manual refill lever to put the pressure back up as it appears to no longer do it automatically but over the last week it's an almost daily occurrence, pressure gauge is almost at zero in the morning. Something's obviously wrong, anyone know what's up? Is it cheap to fix?

TIA

Redman

Reply to
Redman

Either you have a leak, or the pressure vessel isn't working. If you top it up when the system is relatively cold, what does the pressure go up to when it gets hot? If it goes very high and spurts out of the pressure relief valve, then the pressure vessel isn't working. If it doesn't go into the red, then you have a leak. Report back which it is.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Most Combi's in my experience require periodic topping up ... they shouldn't in theory but in practice they do and it's nothing to worry about.

In respect of you having to top it up on an almost daily occurrence it sounds like you have either a leak or the pressure release value has failed.

Leak. Before you start ripping up the floor boards have you moved any furniture around in your house or had the kids playing boisterously in the house?. The reason I say this is that we had a similar occurrence and we found that a radiator had been knocked and this led to the compression joint at the base of the radiator had failed and a loss in pressure. A quick tighten of the joint and problem solved for us. Check around the feeder and return pipes of your radiators. If this isn't the case then you may have a leak somewhere else.

Pressure Release Valve. Do you know where the valve exists the boiler to the outside? Does it drip water? If it does then this is the problem.

Hope these pointers help?

Ash

Reply to
Ash