Cleaning Paint rollers and brushes and trays

Has anyone tried the dishwasher for this ??

Mr Pounder

Are you suggesting that his wife should clean the brushes?
--
Adam

Using the dishwasher would result in not having a wife.
Mr Pounder

On 01/09/2010 17:38, Mr Pounder wrote:

Then I shall go and fill the dishwasher with paint rollers........

Then she would divorce you for unreasonable behaviour, no house and no err dishwasher.
Mr Pounder

On 02/09/2010 11:53, Mr Pounder wrote:

But I could buy a boat just for me....

Just stop that NOW! I have always been easily lead ....
Mr Pounder

On 31/08/2010 19:04, Leveled wrote:

Brushes are easy to wash out, rollers are not, so get cheap ones from screwfix and throw them away

Or, if the job is not finished and you still have paint in the tray, stick the lot in a plastic bag. They will still be fine the next day.
Mr Pounder

Unlikely to work. Washing out brushes/rollers is mainly by dilution of the residual paint, helped by agitation, until the quantity of paint remaining is insignificant. Dishwashers simply don't use much water for dilution (it's not the way they wash), and no agitation, so I would not expect much paint to be removed. Might end up with the insides of the dishwasher painted though.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed.
Perhaps we could get Myth Busters to try it though - just for fun?
Mike
Don't do it The dishwasher will stink of paint and you'll still have to wash them afterwards Immerse the rollers in a full bucket of water to dilute the paint and repeat till clean Balance rollers on side of bath or sink to run Return and rinse over the course of the day to re rinse under tap till clear, or more or less clear Use again next time !

Ensure wife is not present whilst balancing rollers on side of bath.
Mr Pounder

I was reading Practical Classics today (every-day classic car mag for those of you who have never had the pleasure!) and there was an article about the handy things in the kitchen to help keep your classic car on the road namely:
Smooth peanut butter restores the shine to black plastics (its the peanut oil that does it) - apply and buff-up Vinegar (or that old favourite coca-cola) for de-rusting stuff Oven for heating up bearing carriers (and freezer for contracting the bearings) Freezer ice is a good source of de-ionised water for topping up your radiator Olive oil mixed with sugar makes a good hand cleanser
...oh, and using your dishwasher as a STEAM CLEANER for fiddly parts (advice - don't use dishwasher tablets as they have salt in them, and make sure salt reservoir empty).
Now Mrs Midge is a reasonably tolerant soul, so I showed her the photo in the mag and explained that the thing in the pull out dishwasher rack was a carburettor body! "That's disgusting" was the predictable reply.
On the roller cleaning question, as mentioned in one of the other replies, I slot the handle and roller in a food-bag, get as much air out as possible, and use the supplied wire wraps to tie the bag tight around the handle stem to keep out the air. That way, you can avoid having to wash them until you finally finish the job (I've had no problem storing a roller for over a week between coats in this state).
Garden hose over a drain is good for getting the paint out when you finally need to (start low pressure until most of the paint is out, then wind it right up). Squeeze water out then roll in kitchen roll to wick the remaining moisture out so it doesn't collect at the lowest point if you (say) stand the roller on its end.
Get a nail brush for scrubbing dried paint out of brushes and off the edges of trays.
Midge.