Cleaning Paint rollers and brushes and trays

Has anyone tried the dishwasher for this ??

Reply to
Leveled

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Brushes are easy to wash out, rollers are not, so get cheap ones from screwfix and throw them away

Reply to
Chewbacca

Are you suggesting that his wife should clean the brushes?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Using the dishwasher would result in not having a wife.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Or, if the job is not finished and you still have paint in the tray, stick the lot in a plastic bag. They will still be fine the next day.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Unlikely to work. Washing out brushes/rollers is mainly by dilution of the residual paint, helped by agitation, until the quantity of paint remaining is insignificant. Dishwashers simply don't use much water for dilution (it's not the way they wash), and no agitation, so I would not expect much paint to be removed. Might end up with the insides of the dishwasher painted though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Then I shall go and fill the dishwasher with paint rollers........

Reply to
Chewbacca

Then she would divorce you for unreasonable behaviour, no house and no err dishwasher.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Agreed.

Perhaps we could get Myth Busters to try it though - just for fun?

Mike

Reply to
mike

But I could buy a boat just for me....

Reply to
Chewbacca

Don't do it The dishwasher will stink of paint and you'll still have to wash them afterwards Immerse the rollers in a full bucket of water to dilute the paint and repeat till clean Balance rollers on side of bath or sink to run Return and rinse over the course of the day to re rinse under tap till clear, or more or less clear Use again next time !

Reply to
Steve Kramer

Ensure wife is not present whilst balancing rollers on side of bath.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Just stop that NOW! I have always been easily lead ....

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I was reading Practical Classics today (every-day classic car mag for those of you who have never had the pleasure!) and there was an article about the handy things in the kitchen to help keep your classic car on the road namely:

Smooth peanut butter restores the shine to black plastics (its the peanut oil that does it) - apply and buff-up Vinegar (or that old favourite coca-cola) for de-rusting stuff Oven for heating up bearing carriers (and freezer for contracting the bearings) Freezer ice is a good source of de-ionised water for topping up your radiator Olive oil mixed with sugar makes a good hand cleanser

...oh, and using your dishwasher as a STEAM CLEANER for fiddly parts (advice - don't use dishwasher tablets as they have salt in them, and make sure salt reservoir empty).

Now Mrs Midge is a reasonably tolerant soul, so I showed her the photo in the mag and explained that the thing in the pull out dishwasher rack was a carburettor body! "That's disgusting" was the predictable reply.

On the roller cleaning question, as mentioned in one of the other replies, I slot the handle and roller in a food-bag, get as much air out as possible, and use the supplied wire wraps to tie the bag tight around the handle stem to keep out the air. That way, you can avoid having to wash them until you finally finish the job (I've had no problem storing a roller for over a week between coats in this state).

Garden hose over a drain is good for getting the paint out when you finally need to (start low pressure until most of the paint is out, then wind it right up). Squeeze water out then roll in kitchen roll to wick the remaining moisture out so it doesn't collect at the lowest point if you (say) stand the roller on its end.

Get a nail brush for scrubbing dried paint out of brushes and off the edges of trays.

Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Old thread but hey ho. Don't know about brushes but easiest way to clean rollers is rinse off paint then pop in washing machine, they come out better than new.

Reply to
johnboydigs

So old my news server doesn't have any of the rest of it.

I wrap in cling film to prevent drying between coats, and chuck them away afterwards, but then I bought them in Poundland in the first place.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel