Cleaning a fence

Hi Does anyone know the best way to clean off the green stuff (mould ?) from a fence ready for treating ? I think that once it's cleaned it should be allowed to dry in the warmer weather before a stain is put on. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:27:30 +0000, Joe wrote:

A pressure washer (on lowish pressure) works very well as it also cuts out any surface rot as well.
--
David

Joe, Investigate the use of bleach. I use diluted thick household bleach to clean this green mould from patio and wall and fence surfaces after each winter period. I used to buy special stone cleaning fluids but some few years ago tried this bleach method and it has been very successful (and inexpensive). I spray it on using a pressurised container ( garden spray type of thing). To reduce any long term effect on wood, rinse it down with water when mould has gone, although I believe bleach will not harm a wooden fence. One has to be careful near plants though, and consider any pets that may use the area.
dfrog
Thanks very much guys