circular tip soldering irons

Some time ago I saw a soldering iron designed for pipework. It had a circular clamp tip. It went around the whole pipe joint.

This meant that any idiot could evenly heat the solder joint in one operation.

I can't seem to find them now. Are they still available and can anyone suggest where to buy one?

Thanks

Alan Brown

Reply to
Alan Brown

Maplins had them a while ago and they are in professional use.

Reply to
EricP

They don't work very well -- they aren't anything like powerful enough and don't necessarily make good enough contact with the pipe. (as reported by a friend -- I always use a blow lamp)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Made by Antex I seem to recall.

Reply to
Marcus

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Indeed they were a toy, I have one that was used exactly once (actually one half time as it failed to make a decent joint). To answer the original question they were made by antex and called pipemaster I think, best avoided but google shows them still available for around 35quid. A blowlamp really is a lot easier/better.

Reply to
fred

b and q sell them

mrcheerful