circular saw problem....

Hi.

I got a Titan circular saw from Screwfix a couple of years ago.

The brushes had worn down to the springs about a year ago. I had contacted Screwfix who then directed me to a spare parts supplier. I then bought a new set of brushes. I have since installed these.

Ever since then I've always had a lot more blue sparking from the commutator (visible through the ventilation vents). I put this down to the brushes bedding in from a flat surface to a curved one.

Now tonight, whilst cutting pallets, I now have yellow sparks coming from the other end of the motor.......

Is this something I should be concerned about? What is causing it? is it repairable or shall I need a new circular saw?

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Sparking from the brushes is common, but sparks from the other end suggests either breakdown of insulation or that some from of detritus has got in and is rubbing between moving parts and the stationary bits.

I personally would take it apart and have a look but being an electronics engineer I know what I am doing. If you do not feel comfortable doing such I would suggest scrapping it and buying new - and at that buying a better made product such as Bosch, Makita, Ryobi (which I believe is a subsidiary of Bosch,) even B&D, but not an own brand.

Reply to
Woody

I agree with Woody that your saw is dying, but I don't agree with the timing of the replacement. Sure, it will need to be replaced, but you might get a few more years out of the old one. Eventually it will screech unbearably as the bearings turn to slag. You will drive the neighbors crazy. But the blade will keep turning. When the blade won't turn, that's the time to buy the new one, if your thrift muscle is as well developed as mine.

McGyver

Reply to
McGyver