Chrome heated towel rails - Radiators?

We want to replace conventional small radiator with new plumbed towel rail
Just found out that new towel rails dont produce same amount of heat size for size as conventional radiator and we are concerned that after fitting it, it would be too cold in our small bathroom (7' x 7')
What size chrome towel rail would produce same amount of heat as our current std radiator which is 700 x 700 single
On 21/02/2010 14:50, JethroUK wrote:

> > Just ask in a plumbers merchant what comparable heat output would match your existing sized rad. You can also get a pamphlet from a plumbers merchant with the different rad sizes that they sell. Just look for a 700x700 rad and it will show you the output.
Bod
Bod wrote:

I fitted a towel rail to the top ports of the existing radiator. Works a treat.
Bob
Was it same size??

JethroUK wrote:

I made it slightly wider and used two rad valves to connect it. It is just 22mm chrome pipe and chrome fittings with a bleed valve in the top corner. Bob
On 21/02/2010 18:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

What a good idea.
Bod

I can't answer your question, but would suggest you think hard whether a heated towel rail is what you'll be happy with. We found they are great for one, or possibly two, towels. But we find it near impossible to add any more towels cos all the lower rails are concealed by the towel draped over the top rail...!!
--
Martin

The power outputs quoted assume the towel rail isn't being used. When a towel rail is being used (i.e. it's covered in towels), assume it's output is zero, and you won't go far wrong.
Personally, I prefer a conventional radiator with an unheated towel shelf mounted high up above it, where you can hang towels to dry, without blocking the radiator.
--
Andrew Gabriel
JethroUK wrote:

I completely replaced my bathroom 2 years ago and replaced the conventional panel radiator with a chrome towel rail. To get the same heat output I had to go larger. The new towel rail is some 6' x 3'. We have found the heat output, even with two towels draped on it, is perfectly adequate even in the recent very cold weather. One thing to consider is that radiated heat is much lower from a chrome radiator than from a white painted one. Convected heat is similar. My son has fitted the same radiator to mine but in white, and you can feel the heat radiating from it. You can put your hand to within half an inch of my chrome radiator and feel almost nothing!
Kev