Chipped enamel bath

Having managed to drop an iron in the (relatively new) enamel bath of our rented house (don't ask!), and make a small (>5 mm diam.) chip in the enamel, I repaired it once with one of the standard repair kits. This worked fine for several months, but the repair eventually came away. I presume I had prepared the chip inadequately. Any tips?
Keith

No experience of this problem but if the damaged area is under water when the bath is in use then I suspect that it will not last as long as a repair to a damaged area that is mostly dry. There are professional bath repair companies but I don't know whether their repairs last longer than diy. http://www.mendabath.co.uk / http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/bathrepairs.htm