Changing tile colour

We have an old fireplace with an open fire. The surround and hearth are tiled in these types of tiles (the lighter coloured ones) -
http://www.courtlawyer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1161330577.jpg
We want to update it a little, but not rip it out. I was wondering about colouring some of our tiles darker (like in the picture) just to give it a less solid and boring look.
Any suggestions about whether these type of tiles can be stained/coloured in some way. I know that there is tile paint on the market, but presumably that would remove the "mottled" effect entirely. I also have to make sure they are suitable for a fireplace too.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
"Lorenzo" wrote:

All I can suggest for something that is semi-transparent, so that the tile colours will not be completely hidden, is polyurethane wood stain. This is available in various shades of timber-coloured brown (oak, mahogany, teak etcetera). However, if you intend lighting the fire I doubt that any type of paint will be heat resistant. That shouldn't be a problem if you only paint tiles that are not too near the heat source.
We moved into an old house a few months ago with a hideous fireplace which we can't afford to rip out. We replaced the fire to improve it and the place we bought the fire form recommended the product from this website to renovate the fireplace (tiles, marble and everything) http://www.charlesproducts.co.uk/comments.htm . We haven't yet attempted it as we are waiting until we decorate the whole room, but it looks good and is totally heat proof and will coat any surface.. Might be what you're looking for?
Mel.