Challenge (Argos own brand) brushes for angle grinder

Bought Argos Challenge angle grinder (cat no. 711/0591, 9" Angle Grinder (NOT "Extreme"). After two short bursts of light use, installed brushed gave up. Replaced with spare set included, also gave up very quickly.
Quite likely that I applied too much pressure (ne yo these particular tools) but Argos can't replace brushes, can't give me a supplier contact, and say I should return item and get a new grinder from store (still well under guarantee). No problem, but surely something like brushes should be a stock-replaceable item? I said I'd a washer-drier bought from Argos costing 450+ which would also require brushes sooer or later, and would they suggest I return this, too, to the store for a new machinie? No clear answer!
QUESTION: Has anybody info about how/where to buy a simple set of brushes for this grinder? I'd guess they come in standard sizes, but just don't know!
Thanks for any help.
Bill

quickly? If so, and this also happened to the second set, this could be due to a rough commutator in the motor, which is the part that the brushes rub on. If the commutator is rough, it will act like a file on the brushes, so a replacement unit could solve the problem.
Bill Smith wrote:

I'm afraid that there is no such thing as "simple set of brushes" for a motor. The shape, material and brush pressure can vary widely.
I purchased a similar tool and noticed (before using it) that the brushes hadn't been shaped to the commutator and weren't bedded at all well. Presumably the manufacturer hoped that it would be little used by most home users or that many hours of very light use would proceed any serious work and give the brushes chance to wear in. I dread to think what the effect would have been of using it under heavy load, with the brushes in that state.
IMHO, the spring pressure was also very low for brushes of this hardness of material.
I bedded the brushes in myself and added a second spring behind each brush. I use it in a jig to cut steel bar stock and it works beautifully with no visible sparking..
So I am not sure what you mean by the "installed brushes gave up" - mine, bedded-in and with greater spring pressure are wearing quite slowly and it should be a long time before I need the second set.
If the commutator is burnt or otherwise damaged, no amount of new brushes will help. It may clean up - a fibreglass pencil can often do a reasonable job. A broken hacksaw blade, shaped to the gap width on a bench grinder, can sort out the gaps between segments.
Of course if a winding is damaged, it is probably only fit for land fill.
Back to your original question - my local government surplus yard ("Bogie Knights" to those in Plymouth familiar with it ;) ) usually has a variety of the "wrong" brush packs selling cheaply. They can be cut/ground to size, with a bit of patience. It probably won't be the right material - so, if you make your own, you may have to adjust the spring pressure to suit.
--
Sue

I don't know what you paid for this axle grinder but I bought a challenge hedgecutter which had been reduced in the argos sale. I got it for about 15 and used it about 3 times thinking it had a funny smell about it when it was in use. The third time the motor just went phhh and a puff of smoke appeared. I did not keep the receipt so I was unable to take it back. I certainly would not buy any other challenge power tool, I wonder if these tools are up to the standard. It would be surprising for argos who I have always found to be pretty good for tools.

I've just used a Challenge SDS drill to remove approx 80 square meters of plaster off of concrete/flint & pebble walls...no problem at all...a lot cheaper than hiring & still going strong!
Don

You shouldn't need a receipt to return faulty goods, Q7 on the following link http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html and the use of thermal printing now on a lot of receipts means that a receipt is just going to be a blank slip of paper when you find something is faulty and need to return it, making the details on the above link even more important when the shop says they can't do anything without seeing the receipt.
I take your point about receipts and will know better next time. I did not even go back to the shop as I thought I would need it. The fact is I was just glad I didnt get a shock or cause a fire with the cutter. I do wonder whether these cheap tools are safe to use and have proper safety checks especially when you see all the recalls now. I suppose though you only get quality when you pay for it.