Central heating thermostat replcament - 2 wire/3 wire confusion!

Hi there,

Can anyone help me - I would like to replcae a 15 year old Potterton thermostat in my house. When I opened the thermostat up I found 3 wires: L, N and a mysterious 'H'. These go to terminals labelled TP1, TP2 and TP3 repectivly.

The thing is the new thermomstat I purchased (Danfoss RMT-230) has 4 terminals but the instructions only shows how to wire the L and N. What do I do with the 'H' wire and what is this mystery wire for??

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks Steve

Reply to
parham1975

First paragraph (Thermostats and TRVs) may help:

The following is a different brand but explains that the 4th terminal isn't used.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Thanks for the information Phil.

So I have 2 options if I understand this (which may be doubtful!).

  1. Connect L wire to terminal 1 and N to terminal 2. Presumably I just tape up the 'H' wire. If I do this then the resistor/accelerator is not used.

  1. Connect L to terminal 1. Connect N to terminal 4 and H to terminal

  1. Then the accelerstor/resistor gets used.

Is that correct? and is 2. th better choice?

Thank you Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you are referring to the terminals shown for the Horstmann thermostat, T2 is not used. L wire connects to T1 and N wire connects to T4. H wire if used connects to T3. Your option 2 would be the best choice apart from H wire should go to T3 and not T2.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

shows you how to wire it up.

Adam