Central heating repairs

Hi all, apologies if this is the werong group. Basically I`m wondering what people reccomend for getting a non-working combi boiler working again? I`m finding this out before it goes bang, so I can have phone numbers handy for the missus, who`ll panic :-)

Basically rather than pay for one of those boiler care services, we`re self insuring - putting the premiums away each month into a bank account, and will then pay for any work required on the system. But whats the best way to get someone out to fix it in a hurry? Just been browsing the Yellow Pages, and found the likes of British Gas offering a repair service, as well as about 15 trillion local companies doing the same (slight exadgeration) thing. Is there a decent website out there to get lists of reccomended repair men/companies, or is it a case of take pot luck? If it helps, i`m in the Liverpool area.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

British Gas are the last people on earth to call out.

Ask around with friends and family about a small local plumber that did good work.

Now is the time to get a boiler looked at, before people start turning them on and finding they don't work in a few weeks time.

Reply to
EricP

Anyone can call themselves a plumber and even claim to be CORGI registered. For routine boiler maintenance I have found it best to use a self-employed plumber who was recommended by other people in my area. He charges about £50 to do the annual gas boiler service. For emergency repairs I have got Home Assistance with my house contents insurance. This costs £9.99 (yes, nine pounds 99p) a year and covers emergency repairs to plumbing, drainage, main heating system, domestic water supply, gas or electricity, and toilet. Cover is for 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Cover is limited to a maximum of £250 including labour, call out, parts, materials and VAT per emergency, but there is no limit on the number of call-outs in a year.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

But they would fail the test below

ARWadsworth