central heating monitoring schemes

Hi
Our old 15 year combi boiler is giving all kinds of problems lately and we also have problems with the system with two rads no longer working and a noisy system. About a month ago while looking into prices of boilers and installation I came across a company offering (I think) half price central heating systems and installation in return to aggreeing to monitor heating costs for 12 months. I think they were called something like the UK Energy Monitoring Programme but I can't be absolutley sure on that. I got a phone call today saying that surprise surprise our post code (Liverpool area) and the problems we have with our boiler/system qualify for the scheme. I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience of such a company and if possible can remind me of the companies name. Thanks Phil
"PP" wrote:

Never heard of them. Unless they are getting some financial subsidy/government grant/funding, as happens with loft and cavity wall insulation, I don't see how they can genuinely install central hating at half price, unless they have found a source of half price boilers, rads, pumps, tubing etc, and the fitters are willing to work for half pay. Beware of this monitoring heating costs being a 'hook', and when the salesman calls he finds that after all you don't qualify or it is costed out at what is full price anyway.

Wise advice. Sounds a bit like these: "If you let us use your house as a 'demo home' we'll install your conservatory for half-price." Usually a scam just to get them in through the door!
Kev
Hi again The sales rep has just been and quoted a price for a full system including 7 new rads, Baxi boiler, TRV's and wireless controller etc, and an inline gas conditioner for a total of 4195 with the monitoring programme, when the full price is supposed to be 6195. This includes installation and VAT. How does it sound for a 3 bed semi? Thanks Phil

Do the words "hook line and sinker" mean anything to you.
Adam

I don't know what "an inline gas conditioner" is, although I have an idea, but you are being robbed blind on everything else. Even British Gas could knock thousands off 6195, and as you suspected, the "discount" was a con as well.
In a similar installation with 8 rads, I did the basic plumbing and hung the rads. The plumber put a Worcester boiler in and did everything in connection with that and charged me 1400. The cost of my side was about 500. To have the plumber do the entire thing would have been not much more than 2100.
Thanks for your help guys. Just been on a money saving forum (the guy who has a spot on Radio 2) and there were a few posts on there that questioned this company (Energi Heating). A few of the posts suggest a similar system, (but not using nylon pipework and aluminium rads as Energi Heating use), but reckon 2500 is a more reasonable price. BTW, the url for the company is www.uk-centralheating.com
Phil

"PP" wrote:

A rip off. Looks like he is trying to pocket about 2 grand in commission.

Not the same scheme, but there's Energysmart, http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk/default.asp You can get a voucher from them to get a condensing boiler cheaply through Plumb Center. It's possible the scheme may have changed since I looked at it. Also, although you get the boiler much cheaper than Plumb Center's normal price, it may be that you can get the same boiler cheaper through another supplier.
--
Andrew Gabriel