central heating & hot water thermostat

Hello
This is a question about the hot water. Recently i have noticed that my system is 'coming on' every few minutes or so to heat the water. also the pipes are 'clunking'. Is this normal? or is my system overheating the water? I believe the water thermostat dial is under my gas fire (with back boiler) and is currently set to 2 and a half.
Thanks in advance
Paul
Sounds as if you have a gravity fed system with no tank thermostat. If this is the case the boiler will just cycle on and off as the water in the system heats and cools. Eventually, your hot water will be approaching the temperature you have set on your boiler thermostat. if this is the case then you should fit a tank stat to shut the boiler down when the water temperature has reached the desired temperature. This may not be as easy as it sounds though because if there is no zone valve and the heating operates only by switching the pump on and off then the domestic hot water will still become to hot when the heating is running. How old is th installation?

Hi Thanks for the reply The system is about 17 years old.