Central Gas power flush

Dear All
Recently my central gas system had got some blockage problems - radiators not heated up. Since we have a contract with British gas and they came and 'fixed' it temperarily - changing some valves etc. They advised that we need a power flush to fix the problem for long term, and quoted 550 for our 3-bed semi for the job (in Hertfordshire) .
My questions: 1. Since we have been in the house for just 4 years and don't know when/if this was done last, we would like to know how often do we need power flushing in general ? 2. Is Birtish Gas quotation fair?
Very many thanks in advance.
PL
Power flush - not had one in 45 years. British Gas - nuff said.
| Dear All | | Recently my central gas system had got some blockage problems - radiators | not heated up. Since we have a contract with British gas and they came and | 'fixed' it temperarily - changing some valves etc. They advised that we need | a power flush to fix the problem for long term, and quoted 550 for our | 3-bed semi for the job (in Hertfordshire) . | | My questions: | 1. Since we have been in the house for just 4 years and don't know when/if | this was done last, we would like to know how often do we need power | flushing in general ? | 2. Is Birtish Gas quotation fair? | | Very many thanks in advance. | | PL | |
We have a new system inc valves. I can tell you the valves are rubbish. The accuracy on the temp controlling of them is usless.
--
John
Building our caravanning web site and forums...

You should not ever need one if central heating inhibitor is added to a clean system and checked every few years.

I would expect you can get a good plumber to knock 200 off that quote. Try the local papers and ring around.
HTH
Adam
On Wed, 24 May 2006 18:39:31 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

"Pete Lodd" wrot:

Answer to question 2: In my area British Gas charge about 200 for a power flush, which seems a bit steep for half a day's work, so 550 in my view is extortionate. As with any work it is advisable to get several estimates.