Cement on cement

In my kitchen, I have an area of concrete floor. It appears that some time in the past, this was covered by quarry tiles that were later removed (possibly due to an uneven floor) and cemented over. Some of this top layer of cement is coming away.

I have to replace this cement with a new layer, and it varies between about 3/8 to just over 1/2 inch thick. Some of the concrete will be walked over.

I suspect that ordinary concrete will not stay there for long without breaking up as the layer is so thin.

I vaguely seem to remember that you could mix an "adhesive" type substance with the cement, or possibly paint it on the old cement first, to stop it breaking away.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
romic

I have used self levelling floor compound to good effect on that sort of problem.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I have also used this and it works fine- 20 years so far with Amtico tiles on top

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to nip over to Selco to pick some up.

Roger

Reply to
romic