CCTV cameras

After a spate of incidnets to my car and home, I would like to install some external cctv cameras, but before I go ahead and purchase them, I would like some help.
I need them:- to be used in the dark. wide angled lenses. max 10m range possibly with sound
I have never had anything to do with cctv before and so would value any hints, tips, suggestions before I go and get the wrong things. - troubleinstore
Mono best for dark; try http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Security_Menu_Index/CCTV_1_Index/Adeva_1/index.html

Check out the Maplin site http://www.maplin.co.uk I think they have something for most of the things you want, IR LEDs etc. Sometimes Aldi and Lidl have them as a special offer. Homebase do Micromark security cameras hereabouts. These have PIR heat sensors and can start a video recorder when someone gets in the field of view.
rusty

Try this guy, he is good.
http://www.jex-electronics.com /

as some of the others have said monochrome is much more sensitive in the dark, but also is more infra red sensitive than visible light sensitive so tends to be used with an IR lamp or IR LEDS for nightime use. You can get monochrome cameras with built in LED's however do not expect too geat a range with these. You have not mentioned recording...and this is the bit you won't like. Digital video recorders are now predominant in the cctv market however they carry realtively high cost. They are hard disk recorders with hard drive sizes up to 320GB and beyond if RAID is used, and can record at least one channel of audio. However there is a cheaper alternative....if you have a home PC fit a TV win card from a company such as Hauppauge which will have a composite video input as well as its inbuilt TV tuner. The disadvantage is that this method only uses one video channel. In the security you would use a multiplexer to record more than one image, however this is at the cost of realtime images and the result become more timelapse the more additional channels are utilised. Normal VCR's can record composite video (there is a pin on the scart lead for this purpose) however you lose at least 1/3 of the resolution of the camera and even more on LP. On LP a e240 tape will only last 8 hrs, which may be all you need to monitor overnight for trouble. Most of the digitial video recorders also have event input which may be useful to you, by having an input from a infra red motion sensor feeding an "event" which will allow you to jump between events on the "event list" to find the active video that you seek.
All of this costs money I know, however that is the true cost of having security that works, rather than just paying lips service to it.>

There is also a good article on diy cctv cameras in May 2005 issue of Computer Shopper
grumble

I got a cheap dvr card for my pc from a guy on ebay. Works a treat!
For something simple look at Argos. Mine (the Micromart twin)does me a treat.