CCTV Advice Needed For Home Security

Page 1 of 2

Hello All I need some advice with regards CCTV.I need a system that will be looking over a car park outside my house.It will be connected to a video,recording through the night,so if anything happens I can view it after on a TV.But the camera will be looking through a window on to the car park,this is to stop people vandalizing the camera.So it needs to have good to average night vision.It also needs to be wireless as it may be used elsewhere for other viewing concerns.Audio is not required just visuals.I have been looking at the Tranwo 3010 Indoor B&W Day/Night Vision Wireless CCTV Camera & Receiver from http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/,but I am not sure how good the picture quality would be,going by the price I presume you get what you pay for.Price wise I am looking at spending up to 100.00 on a system if one exists with the requirements I have mentioned.I emailed iviewcameras and asked them their advice to this question but they never replied.They do seem to have the best selection of CCTV cameras/systems that I have found.
Any and all help on this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any help MW
ioan_davies wrote:

move house.
hth

Hello Again So back to the original question,after all the discussions,does anyone have any advice to a system that fullfil my requirements? Please.
Thanks A Lot MW
be aware that wireless cctv systems can conflict with neighbours equipment and with wireless routers on computer networks. I have learnt this to my cost.

Prolly because you failed to put it in the wrong place ... like your reply

--
geoff

You mean he didn't fail to put it in the wrong place .:-)

Shall I try that again ?
I think the meaning got across despite my obvious balls up
--
geoff

Dave wrote in message ...

To avoid possible wireless Lan/microwave oven conflicts, you could consider one of the Homeplug cameras that transfer their info to your computer via the mains wiring. Pictures are jpegs and readily stored on a pc. I'm sure there is software available to give the equivalent of VCR functionality. Google will find suppliers such as Solwise for the cameras I've not used a camera on Homeplug but do use Ethernet over Homeplug which works very well.
hth
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Modern wireless is pretty good, and modern ovens less crap than they occasionally used to be. I was worried about this, but my 802.11a/g WIFI and DECT phone work quite happily with the microwave on. The DECT base station is 6" away from the oven too.
HTH
Tim
ioan_davies wrote:

This fact not fiction, but... Some time ago a resident was find 2000, an offender who had committed an knife assult on a person, police gained footage of the assult by the said residents CCTV camera footage as it was verging over the residents property boundry(public footpath...result was the offender was found guilty and his lawyer then filed a lawsuit against the resident for illegal use of the CCTV.
So do be warned.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Sounds like an urban myth to me - can you provide any proof of this 'fact'?
Steve Walker wrote:

Its not urban myth. No, not now as it was a newspaper article late 2004?
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

With respect, I'll believe it when I see it.

Key part is 'some time ago'. I think it was February 2004 that new guidance came from the ICO. Essentially: if there are no more than two cameras, they are not remotely steerable, the output is just taped, and it's only used for police assistance, then it's fine.
Bob Eager wrote:

Have a look at the laws relating to CCTV on the information commissioners web site
www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk
it is an offense to use a camera in public places without cause etc. we were warned at work as one of our roaming cameras look at our second building (across a public rd) by the installation company. Having said all that if anything happens on the estate the police borrow to the tape to see who came on and off it via the road so they tend to be understanding.
JD wrote:

but if you have cause .....

Read what I said. I said 'new guidance'. It's a separate note. Also read again...I said that it's OK if the cameras aren't steerable; you were warned about a steerable camera.
I'm perfectly aware of the ICO website; that's why I mentioned the ICO! See:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/cms/DocumentUploads/cctv_system_data_protection_ac t_good_practice_note.pdf

I read in the OP's question (between the lines) that he was worried about his car being vandalised in a private car park.
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

He doesn't specify as being private? -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The commission only applies to commercial buildings, I do except that you cannot have a camera pointing in to your neighbours bedroom, or you cannot have ptzs on a domestic dwelling. As long as the camera is fixed to one position, namely his car nothing is out of order.
Micky.