Cavity wall ties.

My Building Society is insisting that I have an expert report on the cavity wall ties of my 1926 three-bed semi-detached house before they OK a mortgage. Can anyone tell me how an 'expert' will carry out this examination and what the cost is likely to be? I had the gable-end rebuilt to correct a bulge in 1980 (presumably the ties would have been renewed) and had remedial ties installed in the rear wall in

1990. The front wall with the double-bay windows was rendered in 1990, after removing the pebble-dashing, I'm not sure whether there are ties in that wall.
Reply to
Lanky

Simply drill holes in the wall at strageic points and stick a boroscope in to have a look around.

Gable End:

What was the reason for the 'bulge' and was it just the outside 'skin'?

This could possible have been caused through wall tie failure - and yes, the ties should have been replaced at the time of the repair.

Rear Ties:

Do you have any paperwork or certificates confirming this - if so then all should be ok there.

Front Wall:

Unless it is a 'solid' wall (unlikely in this case) then there will be wall ties present and may well need 'sorting out'

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Thanks Brian. The bulge was just the outside skin which the builder took down

2/3rds of the way then rebuilt. I don't have any cert for the rear wall, apart from the receipt for the payment which mentions the ties together with pointing. In view of the front wall needing sorting perhaps a Wall Tie Report is not such a bad idea and I have found a website which gives details of what is involved.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Lanky