Cat On Top Of Bird Box ?

I have a wooden shed and on the side of it near to the top, I have fitted a nesting box for bluetits, which they are just staring to know is there.

This morning at 5am, the wife had to get up and whilst walking across the landing looked out of the staircase window and saw the local ginger cat first sat on top of the shed then it started sniffing and pawing the bird box. Now that it knows the bird box is there it will no doubt be coming on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, I can not put the bird box anywhere else so what can I do.

I had thought of putting nails on top of the bird box to deter the cat, but I do not want to harm the birds. I thought of putting a strip of nails on top of the shed above the bird box, but there again it may be harmful to the birds. Then I suggested to the wife that stay on guard duty every night, but all I got was a wallop across the lughole.

Any suggestions please?

James

Reply to
the_constructor

1) Divorce

2) Nails won't hurt the birds. They are quite used to avoiding thorns.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

You could use something like this along the edge of the shed and on top of the bird box. Can you lower the box ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

A wide flap of something stiff but flexible nailed to the edge of the shed roof, continuing over the top of the box. An offcut of vinyl flooring would be ideal. The cat won't want to walk on something that gives under its weight.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:02:25 -0000 someone who may be "the_constructor" wrote this:-

Nails will not harm small birds.

Reply to
David Hansen

All you need to do is something to interrupt the path of the cat somewhat. It doesn't even need to be perfect - just something that will make going a different way easier for the cat.

You can get plastic strips with stick up points that are normally used on the tops of fences. Screwfix sell them among others. A couple of these on top of the bird box and perhaps the shed will be enough to deter the cat without interrupting the landing positions of the birds. You might be able to make an effect by putting some on parts of the fence as well. All you need is enough to make the exercise unattractive to the cat. They are quite lazy and there are much easier ways for them to catch birds - e.g. lurking in the bushes and jumping out while the birds are on the ground.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I can remember fixing a bird table to a length of plastic broom handle

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Reply to
Colin Jackson

Try this:

hth David

Reply to
Lobster

wear a crash helmet

Reply to
devonsteve

I noted all the replies here, I also noted your comment about not wanting to hurt the birds but no mention of the cat....

shoot the flipping cat.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

I wondered when someone would state the obvious solution.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

I love watching and photographing the birds which use the feeder which I have fixed to a tree in my front garden. The problem is that they are greedy and will empty the feeder in a day. As a pensioner, I can't keep up with the cost of bird feed. I have a pet shop just over the road where I buy my bird feed but I'm now spending over £5 a week. Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative as I don't want to deprive the birds of their daily feed. I'm now also thinking of installing a nest box on the tree. Any tips would be most welcome. No problem with cats - I shot them all years ago! (only joking).

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Not easy in your situation, granted, but you should try to buy in bulk.=20 This mob have some good deals going on=20

Furthermore, stay away from ladders, for God's sake!

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

I wouldn't recommend fixing it to a tree. Cats climb trees. Birds will not use the box if they do not feel secure (Yes. I know birds nest in trees). I would go for the side of the house about 12 foot up. Out of direct sun and any prevailing winds. Ensure any opening lid on the box is secure to prevent anything getting at the chicks. Also provide a supply of nesting material close by.

Search the internet for 'RSPB'. They should have a site with good information on this and other related subjects.

AV.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

Not easy in your situation, granted, but you should try to buy in bulk. This mob have some good deals going on

Furthermore, stay away from ladders, for God's sake!

I don't need a ladder - I can reach the feeder from ground level. I have a ladder but I wouldn't dare to use it. My neighbour has kindly offered to change the bulbs in my security lights. I hardly have the strength to carry the ladder from the garage but he said he will do it all. I'm lucky to have such a good neighbour.

I intend to buy a nest box this week - any advice most welcome.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

that had me wondering too you know.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Are there any farmers' markets near where you live? Assuming you have transport, it could work out cheaper than buying mail order.

give you an idea of what's available and cost.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Smith

Love your sense of humour David

James

Reply to
the_constructor

I wonder if the local Police would loan me a tazer ! Food for thought James

Reply to
the_constructor