Cat Detterant?

Anyone had any experience with cat detterants?, we've tried spray which did nothing so the other two options we've seen are a black cut-out of a cat you stick in the ground or an electric device which produces a sound cats hate. There was a third but I kept missing ;o)
Any ideas?
Karl wrote:

We tried "Silent Roar" - allegedly made from lion dung and guaranteed to deter any feline. However, after watching next door's cat rolling around in the stuff after a heavy rainfall we decided that it was yet another cat deterrent that didn't work!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

The only option that works is the third one . . . . . keep practising!
"Karl" wrote:

The third option could be pepper dust, but a look at the following list might help: http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~recs/catdeterrents.htm
We tried pepper dust but it didn't work - it may be effective when first applied. Our spaniel used to be shit hot when he saw a cat in our garden, but now he is blind the cats come and go as they please. I have never heard anyone say that the ultrasonic devices work. Squirting with water is OK when you are there to do that, but the cats know that they can come and go as they please when you are out, they aren't stupid. The fact that there are lots of alternative solutions suggests to me that nothing really works well, otherwise everyone would be using it.

The ultrasonic devices work well. I had one called a Dazer. the Royal Mail used to issue them to the Posties for dogs, but it turned out not to work on them, but it sure worked for the cats.
http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/dogdazer.htm
Where I live now, we have only seen 1 cat in 13 months, which is fortunate for me because I left the Dazer ontop of the cooker and not realising, I turned the grill on and it melted
--
the_constructor

"the_constructor" wrote:

You need to be there to see the cat and press the button on the Dazer. Cats soon learn that when you are out or asleep they are safe to roam at will.

We used orange peel which worked!!!
Stephen Fisher wrote:

I've just remembered that cats hate the smell of creosote. My grandfather always placed a small tin, half-filled with creosote, near his prize flowerbed. My grandfather used to get his creosote from the local gas-works and it was pungent stuff, where you'd get it from these days I don't know.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Creosote ban Since 30 June 2003, creosote has been withdrawn from sale to householders. Stored creosote must not be used by householders and should have been disposed of safely and responsibly by 31 June 2004. The change in law is due to its recently found cancerous properties.
You can as far as I am aware, purchase a substitute which has the aroma of creosote which does not contain cancerous properties, from DIY sheds.
--
the_constructor

A big fierce dog would probably work quite well too! :o)
And a happy New Year to all here.
Nemo