Can you dye carpets in place?

Long story short, cream carpet already fitted. Dropped cup of coffee on it, got most up and went over it with a carpet shampoo machine. Turns out that the floor is concrete with a kind of black surface (??), the wetness of the carpet cleaner has lifted the black stuff through the underlay and through the carpet so now have a nice grey circle on the surface.
The stain is about a third into the room and on the walking area between two doors, so can't put hide it by putting furniture on top and a rug isn't going to fit there either. We have a huge rug already in the centre of the room, so there's only a few square metres of carpet showing, is it possible to dye it a darker colour while it's in place? It's a lot of work and money to replace the whole carpet. I know there'll still be a stain, but a dark stain on a dark carpet looks better than a dark stain on a cream carpet.
Any suggestions?
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

House insurance claim ahead?
Bob

It's not worth the increase in my next premiums! I could splash out on a new carpet but I really didn't want the hassle of emptying the room and filling it again... I've got a huge list of DIY to do and I'm not going to fit it all in before the holidays are over :(
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Buy a rug?

Thought of that, but we already have one very large rug and the stain is in a place that a second rug isn't going to fit properly.
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Do you KNOW that your premiums will increase or are you guessing? Why not find out from your insurers for sure.
Rob Graham

Shampoo the entire carpet? ;-)
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Do the same randomly all over with different volumes of coffee to start with. That way you'll get a "deliberate" pattern of grey circles. Taking the stain theme a bit further along, using a plastic bottle with a narrow nozzle, like one for oiling hinges, add lines with red wine.
"Sensible" dye isn't likely to work helluva well, it'll be patchy and probably won't really disguise the original circle. So you might as well have fun and make a totally individual pattern so it looks like it's a gosh-posh bohemian exclusive designer creation. Make enough marks and nobody will think it's the sad result of a few accidents!
A L P
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

It might be a phenomenon called 'cellulistic browning' if the carpet has a hession or jute backing, peel up a corner & have a look.
What can happen is that the natural dye in the backing is loosened by either over wetting or too alkaline a detergent, and 'wicks' up the pile of the carpet. Did the stain show more as the carpet dried?
If that is the case, you can use product called Browning Prescription from Prochem.
This advice is worth what you paid for it :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk