Can creosote still be used ?

Page 1 of 2

I found 3 5l containers of "light creosote" in my garage, can I legally still use this on my garden fence and gate ? If not any recommendations ?

I won't tell anybody if you don't!!
HTH
John

I know someone who used creosote on his bedroom floorboards. I can still smell it now. What a waste of a mop and bucket. So funny.

who's going to make you take it off? Oh sorry Mr environmental council geezer, I didn't know.
Just make sure you wear goggles if you use it, I splashed it in my eye when I was at my first job after leaving school, and the stinging is unbelievable.
Steve
On Wed, 24 May 2006 12:08:58 +0100, shazzbat wrote:

and rubber gloves as splashes tend to burn. Remember plants too near will burn until the solvents vaporize.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Since June 30th 2003 creosote has been withdrawn from sale to householders. Stored creosote must not be used by householders and should be disposed of safely and responsibly by 31st June 2004. The change in law is due to its recently found cancerous properties
There is a hefty penalty for DIY use, but there is a hefty penalty for most DIY things these days. Live dangerously!
Studies by the Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicity and Aerosol Research (Hanover, Germany) found that creosote had a greater potential to cause cancer than had been previously thought.
John

My father still uses old sump oil thinned with petrol!
"serialthrilla" wrote:

Is he a smoker?
212.67.96.135:

Used to be, not that he ever smoked when applying it ( well not when we were there as kids anyway!)
Funny thing is though, the fences are still standing today and no sign of rot unlike mine using modern alternatives.

No.
***

Tab wrote:

Same applies if chopping raw chilli's, and wash VERY thoroughly.
Mike

I have been told it's use is now illegal. TonyB

There are lots of things in life that are illegal, but does anyone really bother ..... ? I know if my neighbour used it I for one wouldn't give a jot. Mind you, I love the smell of it. Wife thinks I weird anyway
--
the_constructor

Me too
Adam

I'm told lots of women find it something of an aphrodisiac. Perhaps we need to get the female perspective just to confirm.
Palindr?me?
Steve

jan wrote:

And test the carcinogenic properties to boot.
Mike

peanut butter, and more so my regular thursday night south african braaivleis (barbecue for you far away people) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen (sure! I had to look that word up) :-( jan