Calculating quantity of bricks needed?

Hi,
I want to build a smallish wall to enclose my patio, maybe with pillars at either end and in the middle, is there any easy formula to find out how many bricks (of various sizes and prices I haven't decided on yet) I need before I start?
Do I calculate the square meter-age of the proposed wall and other bits, and divide the square meterage of the bricks into it? If so, how much can I allow for mortar?
Thanks for your help!

http://www.ibstock.co.uk/calculator /