Burglar Alarms

Hello to all. I need to install an alarm system in my new house and was rather taken by the wire-free systems available. (in the Screwfix catalogue) They seem so easy to install with little mucking about with wires, but what are the pitfalls? I live in a rural location so interference shouldn't be an issue, but am I going to spend the rest of my life changing batteries!
Any pointers, recommendations and advice gratefully received.
Julian.
Julian wrote:

I have a wireles alarm and have since helped a couple of friends put them in. We are delighted.. I live in the middle of absolutely nowhere, too, but have so many cordless phones, wireless video links, Wifi, that I have lost count - it doesn't seem to be affected by any of it as it only sends out a burst of rf when it needs to... Absolutely no false alarms.
Having said that, I cheated...
The 9v batteries in the passive IR sensors needed replacing every few months (the carpets get worn out quickly too...). So I modified two of them to put in rechargeable batteries and there is a tiny cable now going from each to a plug-in power supply. No more battery changes!
The switch units need new batteries so infrequently that I have forgotten what batteries they use.. Mine also connects to standard window tape, to detect any attack on the window or glass door panel. Cheating again.. some of my windows just have the foil loop on and no unit - but you can't tell from outside..
Cheating again, I have one of my standard smoke alarms connected to the "interference" contacts on a switch unit next to it - whether the burglar alarm is on or off, the smoke alarm will set off the house alarm,if it is tripped.
I added a second "wireless" bell box and wired that to a mains adapter and put it in my study. It is impossibly, painfully, loud. I don't reckon a casual thief could achieve very much in there with a hand over each ear..
It does what it says on the box.
--
Sue

Why? If it's an insurance requirement, a self-installed alarm is extremely unlikely to be acceptable. If it's just your own peace of mind, then making sure the house physical security is up to spec is far more important, so do that first.

Do you have any neighbours who will hear it?

That is an issue. Only the most expensive wireless systems meet insurance requirements, but they still need professional install and monitoring for insurance acceptance.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

To deter thieving bastards! Around here the Gypoes arrive in a white van, if you're in they try and flog you a genny, tools or a mini-moto, if you're out the break in and rob. I've already seen one potential robber arrive at the farm where we keep the horses and reverse out from the gate when he spotted security cameras and alarms. I've just fitted a dummy camera, soon to be suplimented with some real ones when I can afford.

Is it as simple as that? I don't think so. Unless you fit glass 3 inches thick any robber is in in 30 seconds, the deterrent aspect of the alarm is important IMO.

Yes, just one. However I note that its posible to have an autodialer system that should alert you if the alarm activates.

The insurance company don't seem concerned, I'm a DIY person and don't fancy some muppet making a horlicks of a job and charging me a fortune!
Palindr?me, would you mind me asking who manufactured your alarm, and thanks for the reply.
Julian
Julian wrote:

I decided to get one after finding one of the back windows broken and a rock in the room*. At least now I'll know when it happens and not a day or so later..
--
Sue

* No idea how it happened - my neighbours are sheep in fields. Kids from
"Julian" wrote:

I have no experience of wire-free systems, I put a dummy bell box up about 20 years ago and recently had all the windows and doors replaced with double glazed multi-point locking frames, but the crime reduction officer in your local police force should be able to advise on wire-free systems and any other aspects of home security.

signals, but since most will be opportunistic ones, it will be a good buy.

Yes thanks, I'll be getting one very soon. I'm not bothered by the pro thief, I've got nothing valuable to nick, just the normal telly, VCR etc. The Mics that do the rounds near us would struggle to wire a three pin plug, let alone operate electronic jamming equipment!
Julian.